1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michigan/Nevada/SC Primaries Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackyJackBN, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Do we agree it's time for this new one? Let's go.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

Well, I can tell you on the Republican side, Michigan is between McCain and Romney, and I think that McCain will win it. He won it in 2000 and recently got the endorsements of the two Detroit papers. More important, the economy is shit in Michigan -- it's one of only two states to lose population in the last year -- and I can't see a laid-off union guy taking to Romney.

South Carolina, though, is an open-ender. The state is split between the coast (pro-McCain, lots of military and vets) and the interior, which is Huckabee country, looking like. I think if McCain wins it, he sweeps to the nomination. I don't think he will win it, though. Just gut feeling there, nothing substantive.

3. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

The most interesting thing about Michigan, to me, is that the Dems are not running a full slate there; Hillary is on the ballot, and Obama is not. (I hope I'm not in DB mode here; things change so fast.) Will Obama get a healthy write-in vote?

My thoughts on SC are old hat.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

It will be interesting to see if McCain can indeed challenge Romney in Michigan. Romney's essentially thrown all his proverbial eggs in Michigan's basket.

5. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

As I mentioned on another thread, I was amazed to see that Romney pulled only 9% nationally--among Republicans!--on the most recent Gallup poll. That doesn't bode well. But, the Romney name is known better nowhere nationally than in Michigan; Mass. may be a draw these days.

Apropos of nothing, I give you this admonition from Bandwagon Boy: Newt Romney, Salute the Newt!

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Obama and Edwards took their names off the ballot. And the vote there won't matter anyway since the DNC stripped that state of all its delegates. Michigan, in terms of the Democratic primary, is meaningless.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hillary is the only candidate besides Kucinich who didn't take her name off the ballot.

She's in a dogfight for 50 percent of the vote.

Obama and Edwards supporters are being encouraged to vote uncommitted.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I thought Fred the Undead was looking good in S.C. for the Reps? I mean, it's his only hope.

9. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I read that Kucinich is still stumping the state. Hard.

Doc, practically you're correct. But will Hillary's staying on the ballot have any impact, positive or negative, with the national party insiders? I don't have a clue.

10. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Fred's tied for third in the polls, somewhere around 12%, with Romney, I believe. And it's a big gap.

I claim he'll finish first or second. But I'm starting to get a little squeamish.

To hear Old Fred talk, he's in for the long haul. But economic reality is breathing down his neck. He needs a serious boost or he's a goner.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It will give her some pretty negative press if she can't get 50 percent of the vote, I would think.

But I'm channeling John Fund, so don't take my word for it.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

His campaign has been literally a day late and a dollar short. Just a waste of everyone's time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.