1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michigan jumps USC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Unless those teams were, say, Arkansas and USC.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So, much like the current system, you'd base yours on an opinion.

What if Cal beat USC? Shouldn't USC still be in it? What if WVU finishes with one loss behind an unbeaten Rutgers or Louisville? WVU sure kicked the shit out of an SEC school in the Sugar Bowl. Why shouldn't the Mountaineers be in this playoff?

And doesn't the loser of the Michigan-OSU game deserve to be in an eight-team playoff? They only lost one game in the toughest conference in the country this year.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Actually, as I touched on before, it's more likely Tennessee could take the Nebraska path. Lose one game and lose your division by a tiebreaker to the 1-loss team that beat you. You then finish with only one loss, rather than risking another loss in the conference title game.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

No. If it was my call, as I mentioned, I'd only let conference champs in.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So you
    So you'd let a conference champion from a weaker league in ahead of a one-loss runner-up like Ohio State or Michigan or Auburn or Florida?

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

My overall personal preference for a playoff would be 16 teams (11 conference champs and five at-large), but that will never happen.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If Michigan upsets OSU, and USC loses at some point in the season, I'd be willing to bet a small fortune that Michigan will play OSU again for the national title.
    Even if a Big East team goes unbeaten, it will still be Ohio State and Michigan for the title.
    And, hopefully, that will bust up the BCS

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

More importantly Washington State is back in the BCS poll for the first time in a couple of years.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Sucks for the one-lossers, but yeah. If you're not good enough to win your conference, I'm not going to stress about you getting "screwed" out of a shot for the national title.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

For example, this season, my "playoff" would essentially be this:

FIRST ROUND
    ACC Championship Game
    Whatever the big Big East game of the year is
    Ohio State vs. Michigan
    SEC Championship Game
    Big 12 Championship Game
    Southern Cal vs. Cal (that is for the Pac-10 title, right?)

Top two teams (via BCS rankings) get byes, leaving, essentially (as of now)
    1. Ohio State, bye
    2. Southern Cal, bye

3 vs. 6: West Virginia vs. Georgia Tech (fuck off, Clemson. You're not winning your division)
    4 vs. 5: Auburn vs. Texas

And, because I'll probably have to include Notre Dame somehow .......

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear Jay: Unemployment changes a man's definition of the phrase "small fortune." I'd be willing to bet you a six-pack of a decent beer that if Michigan beats OSU, the Buckeyes will not get a rematch in the title game no matter how many losses USC has. The SEC champ, Texas, and the Big East winner would all stand ahead of them in the line, because Ohio State would've lost a conference game at home and, more to the point, a rematch would not be a good sell for Fox. That Florida-Florida State rematch Sugar Bowl was probably the last of its kind, and considering what a dog it was, good riddance.

Draft saved Draft deleted