1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michigan jumps USC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That doesn't take into account that they only led Vandy 13-7 with 18 minutes to play at The Big House. They needed two touchdowns late to put Vandy away. Or that they only pulled away from overrated Iowa in the fourth at The Big House.

I just don't see Michigan as being, by far and away, the second-best team in the country as Big 10 people would like us to believe.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

IMO, that Texas team beats Notre Dame. Michigan will get its chance. That's more than many teams can ask for in college football's ridiculous postseason setup.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

An Ohio State-Texas rematch isn't out of the realm of possibility. I'd say it's more likely than a Big East or SEC team playing in Glendale.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

The Michigan-OSU winner gets a shot at the national title. The loser gets a BCS invite, but not to the title game. That's MORE than fair to the Big Ten and the teams involved.

5. Armchair_QB

Because their defense is an absolute bitch to play against. That makes up for their offensive shortcomings, which there aren't many of.

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

They may now. But at that time, Texas was still trying to find itself in a big way.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Actually, I think THAT Texas team beats ND. I'm that sold on how good Texas' defense is, and how not good ND's defense is. But that's also an indication of how overrated I think ND is.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I think the best thing that could happen for Notre Dame would to go play in the Gator Bowl against Boston College or somebody and win. To me that would establish more momentum for that program that getting embarrassed in a BCS game - again.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

What's aggravating is that a playoff this year would be fantastic.

Four-team

(semis)
    Big 10 winner-Big East winner/Texas
    USC/Texas-SEC winner

Eight-team
    Big 10 winner-Boise State
    Big East winner-SEC runner up
    SEC winner-Big 10 runner up
    Texas/ACC winner-PAC 10 winner

Too bad neither scenario will happen

EDIT: Modifying for my egregious oversight of Texas in the eight team bracket

10. Armchair_QB

Why wouldn't the Pac-10 or Big East runner-up get a bid?

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Because the likely SEC runner-up beat the bejeezus out of what would likely be the Pac-10 runner-up. And do we REALLY want two Big East teams in it?

In all honesty, though, I still don't see what runners-up need to be involved. I'd love to see the conference seasons and title games (where applicable) serve as the defacto playoff, since that's as close as we'll ever get.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I think the Pac 10 champ will likely be USC, and I can't see a two-loss Cal among the top eight. Same thing applies to a one-loss Big East team, regardless of whether it's Louisville, WVU or Rutgers. A two-loss SEC team has a better chance of being in the top eight, especially if it's Auburn or Florida.

EDIT: Also, the ACC winner would only get in if Texas was upset in the Big 12 Championship game.

Draft saved Draft deleted