1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michigan court case over: MHSAA must join the 20th Century

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Apr 2, 2007.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Finding twice as many basketball officials during the winter is going to be a huge chore.

2. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Can someone explain to me how it puts girls at a disadvantage to play basketball in the fall?

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Because in the fall, their periods attract bears.

In the winter, hibernation solves the problem.

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I guess I'm a little dense, but how exactly does having girls basketball games in the fall make for a "lack of equality" with boys basketball? They're both getting seasons, just at different times of the year.

And why would scheduling gym time become tougher? Volleyball had been played in a gym at the same time of the year as boys basketball, so why couldn't girls hoops just use the gym time volleyball had?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hence the contention of the MHSAA's argument.
    The original suit came from Volleyball parents of average players Moms thought it put them at a disadvantage for them not to be able to play AAU volleyball against players from other states because it cost them scholarship chances. So they sued.
    Since you aren't going to play volleyball and girls basketball in the same season, something had to move.

Of course, Zeke's answer is perfect!

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How is there a facility issue? Last time I checked volleyball teams used the same gym as basketball teams.

And teh MHSAA is right on one thing, Title IX doesn't apply to them if they don't receive federal funds.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Other side argued that since the member schools receive the funds, Title IX applies -- voluntary membership or not.

8. Sandoval

Sandoval Member

Don't you understand? With some of these people, it has to be EXACTLY EQUAL.

At my own high school, the boys' varsity locker room had crappy big-ass football lockers. We didn't actually have football, but I guess they planned on it at one time. The lockers were old and beat up, but we (male athletes) didn't care. They locked and there was enough for everyone. Meanwhile, the girls' lockers were newer and in better condition, but smaller. Still plenty of room for whatever you wanted to put in there, just smaller. One dipshit father of a girl athlete decided that it wasn't fair for the boys' lockers to be bigger. He bitched and bitched and bitched and finally the school gave in, spending thousands of dollars to tear out perfectly fine lockers from the boys' locker room and put in smaller ones. Half of which were never used, and probably still never have been used, because there weren't enough athletes to use them.

Thousands of dollars, that in my lower-middle-class school district could have actually gone to something useful, were spent to tear out and replace perfectly good lockers, just because they were bigger than what the girls had. I'm still pissed about it

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The people who sued didn't give a damn about basketball, get that right.
    They cared about moving volleyball to the same time as other states; other sports were collateral damage.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The daughter who was the original focus of the case is now a senior at Grand Valley State on the volleyball team.

Something tells me if she was any good at all, she would be playing somewhere other than a Division 3 school, no matter when she played the sport in high school.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That's a younger sister. The case is 8 years old. The daughter who was the original focus of the case is like 26 now (she did, incidentally, get a D-I scholie -- i believe to a school in the ACC or SEC -- despite the horrible handicaps she had to overcome).

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ummm, the suit is eight years old. Was she in a coma? She is out of school.

I did read this in the Detroit News:
    "Kristen Galles, a Virginia civil rights lawyer who has worked for the mothers and their small organization, Communities for Equity, for nearly a decade without compensation along with Grand Rapids attorney H. Rhett Pinsky, said the suit benefited Michigan girls even as it was being fought.

"Lacrosse and bowling added as girls' sports? That never would have happened without this suit," she said. "The refurbishing of Bailey Park (the Battle Creek facility where the girls' state softball championship tournament is held)? That never would have happened without this suit. The girls' basketball finals being played at Breslin (Michigan State's campus) on television? Never would have happened without this suit."

Lacrosse and bowling weren't official boys sports either since MHSAA guidelines mandate 10 percent of member schools must have a sport for the association to regulate it, so nice of this dumbass to take credit.
    The girls basketball finals have always been on TV and they are about to move out of Breslin.
    This dumbass's 15 minutes of fame? Never would have happened without this lawsuit.

Draft saved Draft deleted