1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michigan BLOG! says Lloyd Carr to retire next Monday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rufino, Nov 12, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Look at the USC program before Carroll. Look at the USC program now. Look at his BCS bowl record. The scores of the six games he has lost in the last five seasons (all seven point margins and under).

And Carroll gets "a free pass"... Good lord. If he, as you imply, is getting a "free pass", tell me how bad he is doing on the field and who could do better.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

This is what so many coaches, like Joe Pa, Jackie Sherrill, Bobby Bowden haven't been able to do - go out on top.
    Granted, Pa and Bowden might do just that this year, following a bowl game.
    Sherrill didn't.
    At least Carr will get out on his own terms and with his head high. (if indeed this blog is accurate)
    Good for Lloyd

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hmmm, are there any real news outlets reporting this yet? [/Angola]

Really? If it were so reliable, it wouldn't be hiding on a message board forum that I can't get access to, unless I register to be part of their fiefdom blog. [/wicked]

I'm going with Johnny, what the hell. I may temper it with just a 72-point headline, though, just in case. [/Ace]

Honestly, if he hadn't linked to a fanboy message board and just said it was a rumor floating out there, I'd probably have more faith in it. The people who really are in the know aren't gonna spend time posting on message boards a blog. [/wicked]

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Honored to know someone spent time parodying me! Cheers, TSP!

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And Carr makes it official...

Lloyd Carr retires as Michigan coach
    November 18, 2007
    By MARK SNYDER
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Lloyd Carr made it official Sunday: He will retire after the season.

Carr told his team at a meeting that he would retire after 13 seasons as Michigan's football coach. He will coach the Wolverines in their bowl.

Advertisement
    Carr will make an official announcement at 10 a.m. Monday at a news conference.

Key players on the team described Carr's announcement itself as matter-of-fact and not emotional.

When Carr first entered the team meeting, players said the room was silent. But then Carr stepped out for a minute and returned to thunderous applause.

Carr, 62, has been the head coach since 1995, when he took over on an interim basis after Gary Moeller's drunken confrontation with police. Carr has a 121-40 record (.752) with five Big Ten titles and a co-national championship in 1997. The only U-M coaches with more victories are Bo Schembechler and Fielding H. Yost.

The Wolverines - 8-4 after two straight losses - met at Schembechler Hall late in the afternoon. The team traditionally meets Sunday afternoons during the season.
    Carr did not talk with the media after meeting with his team.

The Wolverines figure to play Jan. 1 in Orlando or Tampa or Dec. 29 in San Antonio.
    Carr's decision to retire isn't that unexpected. He seemed to be putting the pieces in place in recent times. After last season, for instance, he obtained two-year contracts for his staff.

Who will be his successor? That isn't known. The name of LSU coach Les Miles has been thrown about for years as a potential successor. His team is No..1 in the country, he played under Schembechler and he coached at U-M.

After Saturday's 14-3 loss to Ohio State, athletic director Bill Martin said of a new coach if Carr retired: “I make the final decision.” He also said he would seek Carr's counsel.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Stupid blog didn't know the press conference would be at 10 a.m.!!

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Of course, ESPN learned this "news" yesterday.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

For those who think Miles is the frontrunner, something to consider. If he takes the Michigan job, he has to pay LSU $1.25 million.

Michigan is the only school named in Miles' current contract under Termination by Coach.

9. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Isn't this meaningless? Wouldn't M look under its couch cushions and pay LSU?

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

1.25 is chump change to Michigan.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Are you nuts? Michigan is the cheapest school in the Big Ten.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Would it be so ridiculous to look at that roster and wonder how it lost to STANFORD?!?!?!?!

And it's got to be so hard for poor Ol' Pete to recruit to Southern Cal. The media obviously hates them, NO ONE wants to go to a great school in a great city in a great conference, and they would never get someone like Snoop Dogg hanging out in the lockerroom.

You're right. I think Pete is the best coach who ever lived. I totally agree with everyone who lives in the Northeast now.

Draft saved Draft deleted