1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michigan BLOG! says Lloyd Carr to retire next Monday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rufino, Nov 12, 2007.

1. How many national titles has that assistant won?

2. lloyd

lloyd New Member

The difference is JoePa is still going. Bo has been gone (from coaching) for awhile now. Plus, as callous as this may sound, now that he's REALLY gone, it might be easier to get new blood. Which that program desperately needs.

3. lloyd

lloyd New Member

I watched Miles basically campaign for the LSU job while he was supposed to be preparing his Oklahoma State team for the Alamo Bowl in 2004. Then I saw said Cowboys team basically quit on him because they knew he was gone. Justin Zwick, on one leg, hammered that team. Yet he somehow still got the LSU job. And he really hasn't impressed me one day ever since.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

None as a head coach.
    More than none as an assistant.

5. Hammer Pants

For right or wrong, there are several head and assistant coaches who don't consider Miles a genius. And they've coached against his teams.

If you've ever seen those LSU teams up close the past few seasons, and you've wondered how in the hell they've ever lost, you wouldn't be alone.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Carr must be counting on another loss to Ohio State.

7. Miles hasn't lost to an unranked team. Pete Carroll, whose recruiting classes have been ranked higher than LSU's, has. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "If you've seen USC play, you'd wonder how they can ever lose." But every year that Miles has been at LSU, USC has had higher-ranked recruiting classes and higher preseason rankings. Yet, LSU could finish higher than USC in the final rankings for the second time in that three-year span.

Yes, I know Carroll has the AP championship in 2003 and the BCS in 2004, but it's interesting that he gets an apparent pass when he loses to unranked teams, whereas Miles has yet to lose to a team ranked lower than No. 18 and still gets hammered for five losses in 36 games.

8. Hammer Pants

I don't disagree with you about Carroll. He does get a free pass.

But I still don't think Miles is very good. I think "Every Day Should Be Saturday" was right when it wrote that he doesn't have a brain, just two large testicles in his head, and that he won't keep getting away with acting like Hal Mumme on every damn fourth down. And throwing the ball into the end zone against Auburn was one of the dumbest, luckiest calls I've ever seen.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If he'd gone for the field goal -- not a lock with Colt David at that point in the season -- and missed or had it blocked, Miles would have been crucified for not taking a shot at the end zone first.

On the touchdown pass that beat Auburn, the ball hit Byrd in the hands with 4 seconds left. Only the most crazy incomplete pass -- the likes of which I have never seen -- would have left the clock with zeros on it. There would have been time for a field goal.

Interception? Yeah, he'd have never heard the end of it, but the play worked. Tuberville's decisions late in the game were more questionable, in my opinion, but he emerged from those relatively unscathed.

People have made up their minds Miles is a dumb ass, so he's in a no-win situation with them. If it works, the players won in spite of him. If it fails, it's his fault.

10. Hammer Pants

As someone who's a fan of college football in general, and exciting games, I love watching Miles channel Mumme. I just don't think it's always the right decision.

But whatever. He makes a lot more money than I do.

I just think it's odd that coaches feel that way about Miles. I used to think it was just fans and media...

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hilarious: the LSU fanboards are starting to get very huffy about the idea that another school (U-M) would attempt to come after their coach before the bowl season is over.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Conversation of the week.

Draft saved Draft deleted