1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michelle Wie to continue her participation in men's tournaments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, May 5, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Re: *Update* Michelle Wie NOT to forego participating in men's tournaments for now?

I didn't make the initial comparisons between Wie and Manning, dog, because, dog, the comparison is idiotic on so many levels. Golf is an individual sport, football is a team sport.

If you want a better comparison -- how about Freddy Adu, who has found out rather quickly that hype doesn't mean a damn thing when you are competing against some of the best players in the world and as such, his hype machine has quickly died down. Why? Because there are far better players in the MLS who deserve the hype and he's accomplished very little to date.

The same should be happening to Michelle Wie, who has accomplished nothing, other than to get a whole lot of money from sponsors to play in tournaments she can't even make the cut in and mostly because she has that freak show value to her.

And people like you are assuming she is automatically going to get better and start winning tournaments -- how do we know this when she hasn't shown she can win tournaments, which is much different than hitting the ball a mile?

Again, if she were to go to the LPGA for a few years and start to dominate, then come back to the men's tour, nobody would say a word about it. Nobody is asking for instant gratification -- well other than the Wie's and their handlers, who are asking us to throw everything we know and appreciate about competition and sports out the window and accept a player who is clearly very inferior to the people she is being pushed to compete against.

This isn't about sexism, or -- and this is the kind of nonsensical lunacy that PC police have created -- about the fact that she is Asian (which I've heard some people try and make the case for).

It is about the fact that her hype has far outweighed her actual performance. Had she stayed on the LPGA tour her first three or four years and concentrated on winning some tournaments, the perception of her would be much different than it is.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Re: *Update* Michelle Wie NOT to forego participating in men's tournaments for now?

Kip Winger weighs in:

I'm only seventeen
    But I"ll show you love like you've never seen
    She's only seventeen
    Daddy says she's too young
    But she's old enough for me

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dear dumbass: yes, you did go on to make a comparison about manning and wie. i know you're not terribly smart, but you did.

also, if the LPGA is so heavily spread with talent, and wie is so terrible, please name 10 players better than wie if she played every tournament.

and dog, you mentioning freddy adu proves you really don't know what you're talking about. you shoulda stuck with manning ... and least you didn't look like a complete idiot ... well, actually you did.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Re: *Update* Michelle Wie NOT to forego participating in men's tournaments for n

Every time a Wie thread comes up, we get to debunk this myth. So here goes again: Yes, the rules say that she could only enter so many tournaments before she turned 18, but Carolyn Bivens told just about anyone who would listen that she was willing to give Wie an exemption based on her world ranking. B.J. Wie and the folks at Nike saw more marketing opportunities for her by playing in men's tournaments, here and overseas, so that's what she did. That's fine. It's their right. But it's sort of disingenuous to say the LPGA forced her hand with their antiquated rules. They want her in as many tournaments as possible, and will likely bend or break just about every rule in the book to make it so.

I've always felt that both Morgan Pressel and Tiger Woods, several years ago, made the best point of all about Wie's decision to in men's events: It's admirable, but at some point, you need to learn how win. Closing out golf tournaments is the hardest thing to do. And finishing strong under pressure is what Michelle struggles the most with. Woods won three straight men's amateur titles. Pressel won something like 11 amateur tournaments before turning pro. They learned how to hit iron shots and make puts when they absolutely had to. Wie hasn't won a stroke-play event since 2002, and that was the Hawaiian Women's Open, which she won by 13 shots. If you want to be one of the truly great players of all time, you need to learn how to make those 8-foot par puts with a one-stroke lead and two holes to play.

Is it a news story when she plays in a men's event? Sure. I'm always interested to see if she can make the cut. But I'm not sure, at least anymore, how it's benefiting her career.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

NOW they are willing to bend or break the rules.

But there is no way they were going to do so while --- at the same time --- limiting the number of tournaments Pressel could play.

The Pressel camp never would have stood for that.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

dear dumbass: Please go back and read what I wrote, dog, then shut the fuck up, dog, because what I said was I did not, dog, make the INITIAL comparison between Manning and Wie, dog, which I did not, dog.

Further, dog, and dumbass dog at that, I didn't say the LPGA was heavily spread with talent or, dog, that there were, dog, 10 better women's golfers than Wie, dog, I said she should go, dog, and play with the women and PROVE, dog, that she is the best woman's golfer, dog, before she starts trying to play with the men, dog. She might indeed, dog, be the best female golfer out there, though, dog, you'd think if she were the best or one of the ten best golfers, she'd win something that matters, dog, more than, well, oh that's right -- NEVER, dog.

And comparisons to Freddy Adu, dog, do indeed work because like here, dog, he was an over-hyped marketing machine teen prodigy, dog, yet he's discovered, dog, that no amount of political correctness of slick marketing, dog, can make him one of the best players in the world, dog, or even the MLS, dog, because he's not even close, dog.

Thanks for stopping by, dog, now go fuck yourself, dog. OK?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's not. And if I were Michelle Wie, the day after my 18th birthday, I'd get a good lawyer, and sue Dad for every nickel he made off of me the past 5 years, on the grounds of willful managerial incompetence.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

not only ignorant, but stupid as well. funny to see how you continue the trend.

9. WSKY

WSKY Member

In three years, we're all gonna buy the spread in Playboy.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'll repeat this: Michelle Wie is the poster child for the Everybody Gets a Trophy Generation.

She's done nothing, nothing, except a lot of warm, fuzzy meaningless accomplishments, such as x-number of top-fives in LPGA events, almost making the cut in PGA Tour events (and beating nine guys named Craig Barlow in the process), getting to the round of 16 in the U.S. Public Links and almost qualifying for a U.S. Open. Big deal. Just Win Baby.

11. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

I heard she claimed a wrist injury today b/c she was on her way to scoring an 88+ round. If you score an 88 or greater (or something like this), you are banned from LPGA events for the rest of the year. I just heard something to this effect. Shrewd move by Team Wie. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted