1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michelle Wie to continue her participation in men's tournaments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, May 5, 2007.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Re: *Update* Michelle Wie NOT to forego participating in men's tournaments for n

Because when the tournament starts, the No. 1 question on everyone's mind --- fans, detractors, everyone --- will be "How did Wie do?"

Maybe it shouldn't be that way. But it is.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Re: *Update* Michelle Wie NOT to forego participating in men's tournaments for now?

Because it's the middle of July, and there's not much else going on. Training camp is open, MLB is in full swing, but other than that it's golf and tennis time.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Re: *Update* Michelle Wie NOT to forego participating in men's tournaments for now?

How many times have Tiger and Wie been in the same PGA event? Have they played even a practice round together ever? I think the media would fall all over themselves much like the recent Tiger-MJ Pro-Am round.

4. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Tiger would never go for that. Methinks his ego wouldn't allow it. Because just as many of those people would be following her as him. And imagine if he was having a bad day. Surly, surly, surly. He stalks off if he shoots even par.

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

While it was intially great to see Michelle Wie playing in men's tournaments, her inability to frequently miss cuts is tiring to watch. She should compete and be a viable competitor on the LPGA tour. Could you imagine how many titles she could have walked away with now on the women's tour is she stayed focused there? I think she should have improved on her skills while competing in the LPGA and after some more victories under her belt, then try attempts to make the men's cut.

6. nowhat

nowhat New Member

At least Daly has won two majors.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm wondering why Michelle Wie is even relevant any more and why the women golfers out there who are obviously both better and have accomplished far more have yet to tell her to stfu?

8. BTExpress

Re: *Update* Michelle Wie NOT to forego participating in men's tournaments for n

Probably zero.

She was too young to play a full LPGA schedule before, and this year she has been injured.

It wasn't like she was saying "no, thanks" to LPGA tournaments last year. In fact, the LPGA was saying "no, thanks" to her.

So to fill in those large gaps, she played in a handful of men's tournaments.

Not at age 17.

Wie is basically being criticized for not playing and winning on a tour (LPGA) on which nobody at that age has ever played full time or won anything.

The American spectator: Give me instant gratification, or you're a bust.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

BTE,

I understand your last line, but I don't quite agree. It's not that fans want instant gratification, it's that she hasn't won and yet we're constantly told how good she is. Well…there's really one measure. In golf, anyway. That's it.

In a vacuum, maybe Wie's the No. 3 player in the world. But she can't put four rounds together. Or six matches together. And that matters. For all her physical gifts, she wilts on the weekends. Could be pressure. Could be stamina. But she hasn't found the winning gear yet.

10. BTExpress

First of all, she hasn't been in the news all year, so you haven't "constantly" heard anything about her.

Secondly, that exact same statement --- "hasn't won and yet we're constantly told how good he is" --- was being said less than five months ago about Peyton Manning . . . who is 14 years older than Wie is.

Sometimes the other 21 players on the field (or 143 players on the course) have something to say about whether you win or not.

And if hearing about how great she is bothers you, maybe you should direct your displeasure to the people who keep telling you she's great (hint: that's you and me).

The last thing I'm going to do is hold someone up to scorn because "Hey, you're not as good as we keep saying you are!! What's the deal?!?"

If Michelle Wie is still "wilting and winless" at, say, age 22, then we can honestly START to wonder what all the fuss was all about.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

BT -- Trying to compare Michelle Wie to a team sport player is quite asinine on so many levels, but I'll play along -- The difference is -- Peyton Manning wasn't trying to play in the NFL at age 17 -- he was playing high school football, which is where he belonged.

The main beef people have with Wie is she hasn't accomplished anything yet in the LPGA yet she is trying to bypass it and play on the PGA Tour, where she clearly cannot compete.

When people said Peyton Manning couldn't win the big one -- there is only one big one per year and Peyton Manning won a whole lot of other smaller "big ones" prior to this year.

I'd say, for instance, winning a non-major LPGA event is roughly equal to winning a big regular season game in the NFL and so far Michelle Wie hasn't even been Jeff George in that category.....

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

see instant gratification.

and wie was playing pro golf at 17 and was rather successful. she just never ended up in the winner's circle. manning couldn't have played pro football at 17. big difference dog.

Draft saved Draft deleted