1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michelle Wie to continue her participation in men's tournaments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, May 5, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Re: Michelle Wie to forego participating in men's tournaments for now

"Trying to be a nicer poster since 05/01/07"

You're succeeding, IMO :)

2. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I remember watching Beverly Klass out of Tarzana, California, rip 300-yard rockets on the course across the inlet from Hilton Head--Moss Creek, I think it was. Not tall, but built solid. She believed she was the reincarnation of Babe Zaharias, and I think she played her first round on the women's tour at the age of 11. She didn't have a whole game, and as she got older she had some personal problems. But she could hit the tar out of the ball. She had aspirations to play on the men's tour.

Wie is in a different category.

And, I'm not surprised that JDV is a Sorenstam supporter. I'll leave it at that.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

JDV: I don't know how "liberal" Wie is, but she has had a bunch of top five fnishes before she can vote. If she ever putts really well, everybody else plays for second.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how BJK exposed him. Heck, there are rumors that Riggs even bet on King and tanked the match.

And I'm sure the coverage/sponsors/money/exemptions John Daly gets is based entirely on his wonderful play.

Sideshows come in all shapes, sizes and genders.

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Actually, Bobby Riggs played only one other woman (Margaret Court) before taking on King. Clobbered Court on Mother's Day (and CBS), which prompted King to get involved.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you are such a dumbfuck on so many levels.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

And, no offense, but you should know your history. One of the oldest sports stories in the book is the female athlete who peaks in her teens, hits the wall with injury or fatigue in their early of mid-20s, and fades out shortly thereafter. What Sorenstam's doing is actually odds-defying and pretty incredible. Moreso than anything Wie's done so far. If Wie's still around at 30 - and I'm not sure she will be - and she's won 10 majors, that'd be a different story.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Re: *Update* Michelle Wie NOT to forego participating in men's tournaments for n

Wie's coach David Leadbetter may have spoken too soon on her plans, as she is reportedly considering accepting an invitation to compete in the PGA's John Deere Classic this July:

http://www.golfdigest.com/newsandtour/index.ssf?/newsandtour/gw20070511wie.html

10. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Re: *Update* Michelle Wie NOT to forego participating in men's tournaments for now?

'Wieeeeeeeeeeee need to get Michelle a sponsor exemption.' [/Caruso as Horatio Caine]

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Re: *Update* Michelle Wie NOT to forego participating in men's tournaments for now?

It's official, AP is reporting today that Michelle Wie has accepted a sponsor's exemption to play in the July 12-15 PGA Tour event John Deere Classic.

12. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Until she makes the cut, then contends, I don't see why she still gets coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted