1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michelle Wie to continue her participation in men's tournaments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, May 5, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Re: Michelle Wie to forego participating in men's tournaments for now

Scotty gets to play lighting rod. A toast for his sacrifice: *tink*

Ha :)

Seriously, as tall as she is and as long as she drives, I think that she will be able to compete with the men at some point. But she should go kick butt on the LPGA tour, IMO, like Claws said. Now's the time

2. Re: Michelle Wie to forego participating in men's tournaments for now

Michelle Wie is hot? Isn't she like 15?

I know. I'm getting old.

3. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Not to get on a high horse, but c'mon.

If some of the women of SportsJournalists.com jumped onto the Nowitzke-Garnett thread simply to weigh in on the relative hotness of the two players in question, we'd heap scorn on them.

For good reason.

(No, this is not a call to end all so-and-so-is-hot/is not threads. But does that stuff have to spill (spew?) on to every thread?)

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Hasn't she been foregoing them so far this year due to an injury?

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

[blue]Wie actually competes in women's tournament, too?

6. Re: Michelle Wie to forego participating in men's tournaments for now

When Montezuma's Revenge is calling for decorum, you know you're in trouble ::)

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Hey, that's not why I started the thread. I don't have any need to comment on Wie's looks. I just am not going to be surprised or too concerned if someone does.

Now if the whole thread becomes a Wie link-fest or a treatise on her looks, that would be different.

Does commenting on her looks raise the discussion? No, it does not. And that is a good point. It is true, IMO, that there are enough gender issues around Wie that the 'looks' card is probably best kept out of the discussion.

But it's Saturday, and Scotty just threw it out. I should have just said nothing, but I was just having fun. Perhaps next time I won't. It's a fair point, particularly in light of the recent discourse on the site about what SJ is about, particularly in those sections outside of "Anything Goes."

:)

8. Re: Michelle Wie to forego participating in men's tournaments for now

Jeez guys, just keep it moving ... no one said anything mean about Ms. Wie ...

9. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Exactly!

I am so sick of the "novelty" story or sports = social good/justice (with a heavy liberal slant).

That is so old & tired. Whatever happened to covering athletes based on how good they are (I know a unique concept).

Wie on the men's tour was always a total joke and purely a media-driven item. Much like Riggs vs. Billy Jean King. I seem to recall many women none-too-pleased about that as Riggs as a near senior citizen was punking out top women pros until BJK exposed him.

If she could qualify (normally) and compete adequately on the men's tour I would be ALL for it - but she can't & I am sick of the excuses and coverage of a NON-FACTOR and, frankly, sideshow in every men's tournament she enters.

And don't give me the lame "you don't like her bc she is a girl/woman, or your being hard/mean on the girl/woman bc that is garbage & let's be straight its a HUGE advantage for her. Actually, the ONLY one. Because, if she was a man the amount of coverage, sponsors, money, and sponsors exemptions she would get based on her play would = ZERO!!!!

Sorenstam is cool bc she can actually play.

JDV

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes. She hurt her wrist at the Samsung World Championship last October. She hasn't played since missing the cut by a million at the Sony in January.

Her first tournament back will be the tournament at the bottom of my sig. ;D

Can Wie compete on the LPGA? Well, she had three top-5 finishes in the four LPGA majors last year -- and was one shot out of the Karrie Webb-Ochoa playoff at the Kraft Nabisco -- so you be the judge.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

This is the first step toward giving her the chance to live up to the ability she has. If she turns out to be all that, she'll have plenty of time to compete against the men if that's what she wants. But it's high time the adults around her start acting like adults and point her down a path that's best for her long-term good.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Wie can play too. She's been in the top 5 at multiple majors. Maybe you should do some research before spouting off on stuff you know nothing about.

Draft saved Draft deleted