1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michelle Wie - making the cut at the PGA Legends Reno-Tahoe Open

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 1, 2008.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

73-80---153 and tied for 118th. Missed the cut by nine shots. Great decision.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

We wish.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

It is absolutely mindboggling that her parents, or whoever, thinks it's better for her career to play in a no-name PGA Tour event and miss the cut than play in one of the women's majors.

This act has gotten really old.

4. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

And she said after her 80 that she "played better." And that if she could "play eight (PGA) events in a row" she would do even better.

What drugs are they giving this girl? Someone in the men's tour should outlaw her from playing in their events until she can at least be play consistently well on the women's tour -- THEN give her a chance to QUALIFY for a men's event. Stop milking the cash cow. Her parents already have squeezed those babies dry.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Lorne Rubinstein respectfully disagrees and as he says, if the players want to vote against exemptions, than go ahead, end them. For everybody.

By “out here,” Williamson, who was speaking at the Glen Abbey Golf Club during the RBC Canadian Open, meant his fellow PGA Tour players. If that's the case, and it surely is among the majority, then they're not thinking straight.

Every regular PGA Tour event can use its sponsor exemption as it sees fit. If PGA Tour players don't want tournaments to have such exemptions, they should insist they be banned. Williamson wouldn't likely vote to rescind sponsors' exemptions. He's surely received some. Meanwhile, Wie shrugged off his comments.

“I don't even know who that is,” Wie said. “I wish I had no critics, but I'm realistic.”

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080801.rube02/GSStory/GlobeSportsGolf/home

Not everybody involved closely in the game has ripped Wie. PGA Tour player Scott McCarron, who contended in the Canadian Open before finishing tied for fifth place, said he planned to bring his daughters to the Reno tournament.

“I think it's great,” he said. “She's a great player and she will make the cut in a PGA Tour event.”

Maybe, or maybe not. Meanwhile, Sean Foley, who teaches at the Piper's Heath Golf Club in Milton, Ont., and coaches Stephen Ames and Sean O'Hair, put it all in perspective the other day.

“Mediocre people are jealous of the money she's making and the life she has,” Foley said. “You could pick 20 guys in Reno who have missed 11 of the last 12 cuts. The players don't want to understand she's part of the reason they're playing for so much money. There's no reason people should be so cruel to her.”

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

But . . BUT . . . . she has the RIGHT! She's popular!!!!!

Yeah, put me in the "Just stop it" camp. If she thinks she wants to play with the men, fine. As she fails miserably, it makes great fodder for headlines, writers, and message boards, and also increases attendance at those events.

But to choose to miss a women's major to put on this sideshow, mere weeks after the embarrassment of neglecting to sign her scorecard at the end of a round?

She's a joke. This fiasco should have ended at least a year ago, maybe longer. At what point do golf fans perceive her not as someone to see, but as someone to heckle at these men's events?

7. TwoGloves

Maybe somebody should ask McCarron if the goal in PGA Tour events is to "make the cut." Jesus, he thinks that would be success for Wie? They can put that on her tombstone: "Here lies Michelle Wie, who made the cut in four PGA Tour events out of the 100 she played." Greatness indeed. Maybe that's why McCarron is a mediocre player: Making cuts is his idea of success.

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

Hey, she beat David Duval by a stroke.
    That has to mean something.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

it's not an issue of talent with Wie. it's an issue of misplaced priorities.

First of all, she's never, ever going to be competitive on the men's tour. She hits the ball a ton, but guys hit the ball farther. It's nature. When you're hitting two or three clubs more into every hole, it's not conducive to winning.

Second, the path she's chosen robbed her of learning how to win. If you look at the best the sport has ever seen, man or woman, almost all have an entensive junior/college/amateur background. They figured out how to win as teenagers, and extrapolated it on to their pro careers.

Wie beat the best Hawaii had to offer. And she really hasn't beaten anybody since.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

For what? Does he need his diaper changed?

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I don't think Wie is part of the reason the PGA Tour professionals are playing for so much money. In fact, I'm sure of it.
    her sponsor's exemption came long after the sponsor's were on board, and the fans who show up don't provide a huge boost to the tournament purse. that comes from tv and tournament sponsors.

12. TwoGloves

She sells a few extra tickets and gives adds some interest to a second-tier tournament. But when it comes to PGA Tour purses, there's only one person who is responsible for their growth in the last decade.

Draft saved Draft deleted