1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michelle Branch helps make Billboard chart history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Aug 31, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Absolutely!

Hey! Wait a second!

Jon has a FREAKISH case of stage fright. I remember when Aamer Haleem or wahtever his name is tried to round them up for that reunion show on VH-1 and it took a couple tries to even get him to go on camera.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

In his defense, if that annoying twit barged into my office, I'd freak the fuck out too.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yeah, but no one wants to reunite with you!

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I keep waiting for my friends from the college paper to reunite. I asked my wife where she was going the other night, all dolled up, carrying bound editions of the ol' paper and singing the school song. She stammered something about her mom's house.

I wish my friends would reunite! :'(

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Best part of that story is I wouldn't even be surprised if you had bound editions of your college paper. :)

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

He never recorded with the group, but he was actually the first kid recruited for the group by Maurice Starr. Donnie was next. Mark dropped out before the Knights and Monkey Boy Danny joined up.

Yes, they did. "On Bended Knee" knocked "I'll Make Love To You" out of No. 1 on December 3. It was the first time someone had succeeded themselves at the top since "Can't Buy Me Love" displaced "She Loves You," which had replaced "I Want To Hold Your Hand."

Puff Daddy (1997), Ja Rule (2002), Nelly (2002), OutKast (2004) and Usher (2004, twice) have also done it. In OutKast's case, the songs were "Hey Ya!" and "The Way You Move," which were two sides of the same record. That hadn't happened since "Don't Be Cruel" and "Hound Dog" by Elvis.

Usher almost had three No. 1 songs in a row like the Beatles did, as "Yeah!" was replaced by "Burn" which was replaced by "Confessions Part II." But the eight-week run by "Burn" had been briefly interrupted by Fantasia's "I Believe," so his three No. 1 singles were not actually consecutive and he had to settle for two straight No. 1 hits twice in a row.

It's kinda fun to think that the Beatles almost had six straight chart-toppers. When "Can't Buy Me Love" went to No. 1, it prevented "Twist And Shout" from grabbing the top spot. That might have been four in a row. "Can't Buy Me Love" was dethroned by Louis Armstrong's "Hello Dolly" for one week, but the No. 2 song that week was "Do You Want To Know A Secret." If it had reached the top instead of Satchmo and hung on for two weeks, it would have been knocked out by "Love Me Do." Fascinating. They had 30 different chart entries in 1964, including 14 at one time (April 11), five singles in the Top 5 at the same time (April 4) and 11 Top 10 hits overall. It'll never be done again.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Christ...get a room will ya?

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Now that you've mentioned that she's from KC, I'm suddenly curious to hear this.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ugh. I hated those songs.

My favorites (no order):

Vogue
    Into the Groove
    Oh Father
    La Isla Bonita
    Express Yourself
    Ray of Light
    Tell Me
    Like a Prayer
    Keep it Together
    Erotica
    Justify My Love

I like Hung Up to. Probably just because it's one of the okay song's on my store's soundtrack.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You know, I listen to a lot of music. I have literally thousands of CDs.

There are a lot of songs on that list I've never heard. Hell, there are artists on that list I've never even heard of.

Those three songs listed for 2004? Combined they had the #1 spot for more than half the year, and I haven't heard one of them. I don't know what a Petey Pablo is.

The Billboard Hot 100 charts are now completely foreign to me.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd add "Justify My Love" to my list just for the Wayne's World parody. (Bless you, http://snltranscripts.jt.org/90/90swayne.phtml)

Madonna: Hello, Garth. [ blows him a kiss ]

Garth: Oh, my God, it's Madonna! I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! Aaaggghhhh!!!

Wayne: Garth! Chil, chill, chill! Come on, take your ritalin! Garth.. we're in Madonna's bedroom. Whoa-oa!

Garth: Whoa-oa!

Wayne & Garth: [ bowing before Madonna ] We're not worthy! We're not worthy!Madonna: Okay, shut up! You're both worthy. Wayne.. do you want to play "Truth Or Dare"?

Wayne: Truth or Dare with me? No way!

Madonna: Way!

Wayne: No way!

Madonna: Way!

Wayne: Excellent!

Madonna: So.. Truth or Dare?

Wayne: Truth.

Madonna: Have you ever made love to women at the same time?

Wayne: Um.. yes?

Madonna: I believe you - not!

Wayne: I might make love to two women at once!

Madonna: Yeah, you might And monkeys might fly out of my butt!

Garth: Good one, Madonna!

Madonna: Thanks, Garth.

Wayne: Okay, okay, okay.. Truth or Dare?

Madonna: Dare.

Wayne: Okay. I dare you to make out with me.

Madonna: Okay, Wayne.

Wayne: Excellent!

[ Madonna pulls Wayne in and starts to kiss him hard. He looks to see other women in the room baring themselves in his direction, then returns to kissing Madinna passionately. Wayne tremors nearby, as Wayne looks up again and notices a strange man in the hall. ]

Wayne: Isn't that Prince?

Madonna: [ looks over to notice someone else nearby ] Wow.. look at the unit on that guy..

[ we see the guy gyrating, as a close-up reveals it to be Garth ]

[ Madonna continues kissing Wayne, as Garth, now in his own clothes, is groped by the women from across the hall. Garth tries to return to reality. ]

Garth: [ jumps onto the bed ] Come on, man! Let's go!

Wayne: No, Garth! Not yet! Not yet!

Garth: Wayne, it's too late! Let's go!

Wayne: No! Not yet! [ he finally gives in to Garth ] Farewell, Madonna!

Madonna: Call me any time, you guys..

Wayne: Really?

Madonna: Not!

Wayne: Good one!

Madonna: Party on, Wayne. Party on, Garth.

Wayne & Garth: Party on, Madonna!

[ the dream fades out ]

Garth: I love her..

Wayne: I love her more..

[ dream fades out, we're back in Wayne's basement ]

Wayne: It was all a dream.. [ notices Garth dressed in the "unit" costume ] ..or was it? Whoa-oa!

Garth: [ notices how he's dressed ] Who-oa!

Wayne: That's all the time we have this week! Until next time, party on!

[ title up, to fade ]

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

If you listen to radio, really any genre, and you were able to escape "Yeah!"...then you're a better person than I am.

Draft saved Draft deleted