1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michelle Branch helps make Billboard chart history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

BYH, you got all six, and in order. Very good. "Rush Rush" was the biggest of them, No. 1 for five weeks.

I was going to say you could make the argument that this song was really the first big Soundscan hit, as it was the first song since "Like A Virgin" in 1984 to be No. 1 for five or more weeks. One week after it was beaten out by EMF's "Unbelievable," Bryan Adams took over.

But then I realized that the Soundscan/BDS era didn't actually begin until November 30, 1991, when "Set Adrift On Memory Bliss" by P.M. Dawn went to No. 1. "Black Or White" by Michael Jackson began a seven-week run at the top one week later.

Since then, 39 other songs have been No. 1 for seven or more weeks:

"Jump" by Kris Kross - 8 weeks
    "End of the Road" by Boyz II Men - 13 weeks
    "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston - 14 weeks

"Informer" by Snow - 7 weeks
    "That's The Way Love Goes" by Janet Jackson - 8 weeks
    "Can't Help Falling In Love" by UB40 - 7 weeks
    "Dreamlover" by Mariah Carey - 8 weeks
    "I Swear" by All-4-One - 11 weeks
    "I'll Make Love To You" by Boyz II Men - 14 weeks

"Take A Bow" by Madonna - 7 weeks
    "This Is How We Do It" by Montell Jordan - 7 weeks
    "Waterfalls" by TLC - 7 weeks
    "Fantasy" by Mariah Carey - 8 weeks
    "One Sweet Day" by Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men - 16 weeks (all-time record)

"Tha Crossroads" by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - 8 weeks
    "Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)" by Los Del Rio - 14 weeks
    "Un-break My Heart" by Toni Braxton - 11 weeks

"I'll Be Missing You" by Puff Daddy and Faith Evans featuring 112 - 11 weeks
    "Candle in the Wind 1997" / "Something About the Way You Look Tonight" by Elton John - 14 weeks
    "The Boy Is Mine" by Brandy and Monica - 13 weeks

"Smooth" by Santana featuring Rob Thomas - 12 weeks

"Maria Maria" by Santana featuring The Product G&B - 10 weeks
    "Independent Women Part 1" by Destiny's Child - 11 weeks

"All For You" by Janet Jackson - 7 weeks
    "Foolish" by Ashanti - 10 weeks

"Hot In Herre" by Nelly - 7 weeks
    "Dilemma" by Nelly featuring Kelly Rowland - 10 weeks
    "Lose Yourself" by Eminem - 12 weeks

"In Da Club" by 50 Cent - 9 weeks
    "Crazy In Love" by Beyonce featuring Jay-Z - 8 weeks
    "Baby Boy" by Beyonce featuring Sean Paul - 9 weeks
    "Hey Ya!" by OutKast - 9 weeks

"Yeah!" by Usher featuring Lil Jon and Ludacris - 12 weeks
    "Burn" by Usher - 8 weeks
    "Goodies" by Ciara featuring Petey Pablo - 7 weeks

"Let Me Love You" by Mario - 9 weeks
    "Candy Shop" by 50 Cent featuring Olivia - 9 weeks
    "We Belong Together" by Mariah Carey - 14 weeks
    "Gold Digger" by Kanye West featuring Jamie Foxx - 10 weeks

No songs to date

Of the 40 songs listed above, 19 were at the top for 10 or more weeks. Between 1956 and 1992, that feat was only accomplished by three songs -- "Don't Be Cruel/Hound Dog" by Elvis (11 weeks), "You Light Up My Life" by Debby Boone and "Physical" by Olivia Newton-John.

Sources:

No. 1 hits, 1940-2006

Chart achievements and trivia

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

That was the Jr. Prom.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy shit, there's some true garbage on those lists.

I always remember long-running no. 1 hits as either unadulterated sap that connects with wussies the world over (hi Debby Boone!), novelty tunes, songs by R&B or rock artists that make a huge crossover to the mainstream or songs that tap into the perfect storm of pop culture (wasn't "Physical" released at the start of the health club boom?). Once in a while, a truly great generational song puts a Latrell Spreewell hold on the top spot.

So that list includes a lot of crappy long-running no. 1s, but at least their longetivity makes sense in a historical context. And there are some songs that are classics of the era. But what the hell is most of the Mariah Carey dreck doing there? Or "Take A Bow?" Or Monica and Brandy? Or Toni Braxton? Gaaaa.

One more question: Didn't Boyz II Men succeed themselves at no. 1 with "On Bended Knee" in late 1994? I remember when "It's So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday" topped out at no. 2, which was shortly after "MotownPhilly" petered out at no. 2 or no. 3. Someone, either in print or on the radio, wondered if Boyz II Men would ever get to no. 1. They only owned the top spot from 1992-1995.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

To hell with you, BYH! "Take A Bow" is probably my second favorite Madonna song ever. And the Monica and Brandy single was one of the few CD singles I bought.

So shut up!!!!

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

What do you want, a fucking prize? :D

I can list, off the top of my head, 10 Madonna songs that are better than "Take A Bow." In no particular order:

"Beautiful Stranger"
    "Borderline"
    "Live To Tell"
    "Papa Don't Preach"
    "Like A Virgin"
    "Into The Groove"
    "Gambler"
    "Crazy For You"
    some ballad off "Bedtime Stories" that I can't remember (and no, it is not "Take A Bow")
    "Lucky Star"

See? Madonna sucks so hard that even the songs that are better than "Take A Bow" suck!

Oh well, maybe I'll mail you four bucks to cover the money you wasted on "The Boy Is Mine."

(Did you ever buy cassingles? Those things ruled!)

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Hell, I had ALL the NKOTB cassingles!

And the only song on that list I like better is "Live To Tell."

Borderline and Lucky Star sucked so hard.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

That automatically disqualifies you from any musical discussion. :D

And you're a dumbass!!! Don't you realize that after two singles you'd already paid for more than half the album? Buy the tape, you cheapskate!! Or maybe even this thing called the compact disc!

[​IMG]

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

You underestimate my love for the boys.

I bought the full tapes, the cassingles, sometimes two copies, and the pins. Jon was dreamy!

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Hahahh no that was Donnie! You know, the one who became an actor?

Jon was the quiet shy one. :)

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

*sigh*

Marky was never in the New Kids. There was Jordan Knight, the dreamy lead singer with the bad braided rat tail. There was Jon Knight, his older, less talented (by far) brother. There was Donnie Wahlberg, the rebel. Joey McIntyre, the young, fresh-faced, cute one. And then there was Danny Wood. Still not really sure what role he played aside from freaky looking really ugly old guy.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Mid-90s Madonna was some bigtime shit.

I thought her career was over when she came out with "Rain."

But some stuff on "Ray of Light" was OK. Now she sucks again.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Jon was the one who bailed on a reunion at the MTV VMAs in 1999.

Still think he's dreamy, IJAG? You could be attending an NKOTB concert RIGHT NOW if not for his selfishness!!!

Edit: "Rain!!" That's the Madonna song I was thinking of. Thanks Dye. That goes to no. 2 on my list of favorite Madonna songs, right behind "Beautiful Stranger," which is just about the perfect pop song.

Edit, part deux: Of course, a closer read of Dye's message indicates he hated "Rain." Well, at least we agree on "Take A Bow." That sucked!! Only looooooooooooosers liked that song! Right IJAG?

Draft saved Draft deleted