1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michelle Branch helps make Billboard chart history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Aug 31, 2006.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Worse than awful. John Mayer-esque, if you will...

(Edit: Chick in the video's hot, though.)

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

New Edition had a top 10 song in '96?????

and the adult contemporary chart is code for ...."People that are living a year behind everyone else"

"Had a bad day"........I was sick of that song a year ago...

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

God I was sick of Alanis Morrisette 10 years ago. "You Oughta Know" was the shit, like, during New Years Eve 1994, but 2 years later, I'd heard every song off "Jagged Little Pill" maybe 5,000 times on various radio stations.

4. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I heard she wrote "You oughtta know" about Dave Collier, the guy from Full House.

5. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Bring back the old Michelle Branch!

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

My recollection is that it was about a relationship she had with a Toronto hockey player... word got out, and during the Olbermann/Patrick "Sportscenter" episodes, they'd sometimes drop a "That's for Alanis Morissette's pain!" line when someone scored on the Maple Leafs.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

The rumoured player was goalie Felix Potvin. Apparently it really was Coulier, though.

You'd be surprised. The AC station in my hometown still semi-regularly plays "My Heart Will Go On."

The content wasn't anywhere near as varied, but Top 40 had a pretty strong revival from 1981 or so until about 1991-92. Here's the Top 10 from this week in 1991:

10. I Can't Wait Another Minute - Hi-Five
    9. Time, Love And Tenderness - Michael Bolton
    8. Wind Of Change - Scorpions
    7. Crazy - Seal
    6. I Adore Mi Amor - Color Me Badd
    5. 3 A.M. Eternal - The KLF
    4. Things That Make You Go Hmmmm... - C+C Music Factory
    3. Motownphilly - Boys II Men
    2. The Promise Of A New Day - Paula Abdul
    1. Everything I Do (I Do It For You) - Bryan Adams

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I Adore Mi Amor ... um, I smell a 90210 flashback coming on here. BYH, ya with me?

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

A great chart for a watershed time of my life. Half those songs take me back to my last year of high school, the other half make me think of my first days at college. Both sucked, but the music was good.

Have we established that Vanessa Carlton is a distinct human being, or is she just Michelle Branch with one of those African chin plates?

10. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Vanessa Carlton is Michelle Branch with a bigger nose and sleepier eyes.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wow, that really takes me back. I'm the same age as Mystery Meat, but the summer of '91 was the best of my life. Damn. I feel wistful.

Some thoughts on that top 10: I thought Hi-Five was a one-hit wonder with "The Kissing Game." I always remember "Wind of Change" being popular during the end of my senior year of HS, but I guess it didn't peak on the charts until late summer. Same thing for "3 AM Eternal." Did "The Promise of a New Day" ever reach no. 1, or was it the "Waiting For a Girl Like You" of the '90s? (I know two people will get that)

And wasn't "Everything I Do" the first long no. 1 of the Soundscan era? Before that, it was an amazing feat if a song stayed at no. 1 for more than two weeks. But with Soundscan, suddenly, songs were regularly spending two months atop the chart.

Damn, that takes me back. Thanks, Double J! :D

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I hated all those songs other than Motownphilly, which lured me into thinking Men 2 Boyz would be a good band.

What a disappointment.

Draft saved Draft deleted