1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Michele's Must Read List"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ryan Lizza has a tremendous profile of Michele Bachmann in this week's New Yorker, detailing her religious influences through the years, as well as some of the contradictions in her biography. (A lot of this feels strangely like Hillary Clinton to me - I'm recalling the Saul Alinsky stuff as well as the dodging-bullets-in-Bosnia tall tale.)

Included on the aforementioned "must read" list from her Web site was a 1997 biography of Robert E. Lee by J. Steven Wilkins, a historian who is part of a movement to frame the Civil War as a theological war between the secular North and Christian South, a place where slave owners kept their slaves out of - get this - benevolence, because the savages were not ready to be released into the world until they were converted.

To wit:

Slavery, as it operated in the pervasively Christian society which was the old South, was not an adversarial relationship founded upon racial animosity. In fact, it bred on the whole, not contempt, but, over time, mutual respect. This produced a mutual esteem of the sort that always results when men give themselves to a common cause. The credit for this startling reality must go to the Christian faith. ... The unity and companionship that existed between the races in the South prior to the war was the fruit of a common faith.

Story also notes that Bachmann's campaign team is very uncomfortable whenever she starts spouting off about how the Founding Fathers battled hard to abolish slavery, even the ones who owned slaves. According to the theory underpinning her belief is that those Founding Fathers kept their slaves out of - wait for it - belevolence.

From a book by her law school mentor, which she assisted with: "Many Christians opposed slavery even though they owned slaves. ... It might be very difficult for a freed slave to make a living in that economy; under such circumstances setting slaves free was both inhumane and irresponsible."

I'm wondering if Bachmann will eventually have a serious Jeremiah Wright problem on her hands.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Hey, at least she apparently reads.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

she doesn't read "all of them?"

Tread lightly folks. Some of you seem to think politics are OK again. Not. We're trying to give some leeway because, well, just because. But some threads in recent days have proven to us that is a mistake. If you can't respond without sounding like a bitter asshole, PLEASE do us all a favor and go somewhere else. I wake up to 10 whiny PMs again, we'll have no choice but to go totally politics free.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Thought about putting it on the Journalism Board because I thought Lizza did a great job uncovering some of this. (As he did in a Darrell Issa story a few months ago.)

He definitely seems to be the Jon Stewart of the print media right now, in some ways. Not afraid to look underneath the candidate's official narrative for contradictions and half-truths.

5. LeCranke

LeCranke Member

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, to find that the leading Republican candidate thinks Jesus condoned slavery.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're still here?

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

President Obama likely sat back watching the Iowa straw poll reportage and breathed a heavy sigh of relief.
    This woman, as I said a few months ago, doesn't stand a chance of being elected.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In defense of this idea, some owners did treat slaves very well.

And some were conflicted about it. Robert E. Lee among them.

But some people take real nice care of their cars, too.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

One can certainly make an argument that it's not all, er, black and white (seriously, I'm looking for another phrase here...ah, sod it. No pun intended, OBVIOUSLY).

But one can't make that argument AND run for president at the same time.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

... maybe you could find the eye of the needle and still pull it off, but don't forget that she also signed that pledge that included the specious bit about how Af-Am families were "better off" during slavery. Can't massage the electoral math in any way that overcomes that combo.

It's all moot, anyway. It'll be Perry.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Andrew Jackson was one of the classic cases . . . and when he was riding high, he wasn't too damn conflicted about it.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure. You can count on a capitalistic owner to feed, house and clothe you moreso than Big Government.

Draft saved Draft deleted