1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Micheal Ray Racist is back!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, May 24, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Um, I'd love to see the whole context of that quote and what year was that? 1955 OK, so I was wrong, it wasn't 30 years ago, it was 50 years ago....

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

"Mommy, I miss you." *sniffle*

Poor little Russy.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, because blaming 9/11 on Jerry Falwell's list of "sinners"--those he was demonizing in 2001 to whip his sheeplike followers into a frenzy was the same kind of BS he was pulling in 1960 with quotes like the one I posted, in which God's will was to keep the races separate and Warren Burger was the sinner to be demonized.

You aren't going to convince most people, Zag. That is Bigotry 101. It's actually calculated bigotry. He picked his targets at different times by who he could come after and risk the least backlash from. Blacks were an easy target in 1960. By the 1970s when they weren't as easy a target, he changed his tune. Gays are always good for business, I guess.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is no context that makes that anything but reprehensible. He had a pulpit. And during the heart of the civil rights movement--when he could have had a positive impact in eradicating a huge stain on our country's history, he was telling the sheep who followed him that the bible says that blacks don't belong anywhere near whites.

Of course if that was now and I called him a bigot, you'd tell me I was being intolerant of Falwell's views.

Yup. I am intolerant of bigotry. Whether it's toward gays today or blacks in 1960.

5. zagoshe

Context is indeed important because it might change the meaning in what he said.

And again, people who know him would tell you he isn't a racist, despite what he said 55 years ago (and not knowing context he said it in), and his actions --- the things he's done, the money he's raised, the people he's helped out, the countries in Africa and the inner cities ---suggest that he isn't racist.

But I find it amazing that you somehow think your, or the left's, brand of bigotry and intolerance for the convictions of so-called conservative Christians is different and somehow more noble than the intolerance you claim they have for homosexuals. Why is it OK for you and not them?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Gobsmacked.

The rampant idiocy continues.

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Please don't take this as an admission that your logic is even remotely valid, tacit or otherwise, but isn't being a conservative Christian a lifestyle choice too?

You're still wrong, I'm just trying to figure out if you're a full-blown hypocrite, too.

8. zagoshe

absol
    Absolutely -- though Calvinists would tell you that God chooses them -- it is a lifestyle choice.

And Buck I get a kick out of the "trying to deny civil rights" nonsense. First off -- I've been on the record many times as saying I am all for homosexuals getting married if they so desire, so this debate is moot -- but what civil liberties and rights is one group trying to deny the other?

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Back to topic, I'm Jewish, and crafty, and I don't begrudge mr. ship be sinking a job. in his own warped mind, he was complimenting us. Nothing he said warranted a lifetime expulsion from employment, especially coaching minor league hoops.

Draft saved Draft deleted