1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Micheal Ray Racist is back!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, May 24, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Re: Michael Ray Racist is back!!!

Well according to the lefties on these threads (especially when it suits their argument) -- nobody listens to Rush any more so I would say Michael Ray.....

I'd also say that is irrelevant.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

zag, I don't think I was being a hypocrite. The stuff I know about you is what you have posted on this board. On that Falwell thread you did exactly what I suggested on here. You mischaracterized what people said to go on rants about persecution of "evangelicals," and rants equating the smallmindedness of someone who hides behind the bible to demonize groups that are different than them (gays, for example) with people who call people who do that bigots, because by calling Jerry Falwell a bigot, your argument seemed to be that I was being intolerant of his bigoted beliefs. Yup, I found that line of reasoning ridiculous.

All I did on that thread was point out exactly what Jerry Falwell believed in and quoted him directly. He was a segregationist. He did rail against the civil rights movement. He only changed when it was clear that civil rights was intractable and remaining a racist was not a populist move.

Then, I see you starting a thread about Michael Ray Richardson being a racist. Fine. He's a racist, based on a dumb comment he made.

So my questions are, 1) Who had more impact on society with his racist words, Jerry Falwell or Michael Ray Richardson? 2) Whose racist beliefs were more dangerous--Jerry Falwell's for blacks and their fight against Jim Crow, or Michael Ray Richardson with whatever harm you believe he has done to Jews? 3) And again, why does Jerry Falwell--a segregationist who used his influence to oppose civil rights--get a pass from you, but a relative nothing like Michael Ray Richardson merits a new thread started by you calling him a racist?

It seemed telling to me. And your explanation didn't really convince me of anything. Sorry.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Once again, it's Micheal, not Michael.

4. The Big Ragu

Sorry about that, one. Wasn't paying any attention to his name. Just trying to bang out a post.

5. zagoshe

When people are trying to make comparisons between Falwell and Phelps, they are just wrong. when people are trying to say Falwell's a bigot because of his stance on homosexuality, they are just dead wrong, unless they are willing to say that the entire evangelical movement is bigotted for the same reasons and that's simply not fair.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

No, I'm pretty sure Rush is more popular. And it isn't irrelevant because Rush is pretty popular. So of course you're going to see more reaction from what he says. Micheal Ray was somewhat popular back in the late 70's and early 80's, but not now.
    Rush is huge in pop culture. Micheal Ray....not so much.

7. zagoshe

Further, what did Jerry Falwell say in the past, 30 years that would qualify as segregationist or racist? There was a large portion of the evangelical movement who were against inter-racial dating, not just Falwell, but most of the thinking on that has completley changed.

8. zagoshe

That is not the point -- Micheal Ray is representing a sports franchise and in turn a sports league. Now who is more likely to be viewed as a role model for kids - rightly or wrongly -- a basketball coach -- particularly in his own market -- or a talk show host of a show most people under 25 wouldn't get caught dead listening too?

9. The Big Ragu

You didn't really answer what I asked. But this post is fine. You can pick the dictionary. ANY English dictionary. Does Webster's Miriam work for you?

Bigot
    -- a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

By any definition of the word anyone who sits in judgment of gays and says hateful things about them is a bigot. This is inarguable to me.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What's more relevant, the CBA or the local bowling league?

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

He coaches for the CBA. Besides, do you know this guy's history?

12. zagoshe

There is a huge difference between sitting in judgement of anyone and believing their lifestyle is a sin. You haven't figured that out yet, but some day you will. You can speak against fornication and call it a sin without judging people having sex before they are married.

And homosexuals are not a racial or ethnic group, it is a lifestyle choice.

Draft saved Draft deleted