1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Micheal Ray Racist is back!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, May 24, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Apparently if you are black, your racist remarks have a whole lot less sting to them and you get let out of the penalty box much quicker than if you are white......

After league clears him, Oklahoma City CBA team hires Richardson

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Micheal Ray Richardson, a former NBA player who was suspended last season while the CBA investigated anti-Semitic comments he allegedly made to a reporter, was hired Thursday as the head coach of the newly formed Oklahoma City Cavalry.

Richardson coached the Albany Patroons to the Continental Basketball Association championship series last season but was suspended after Game 1 while the league investigated a report that Richardson told the Times Union of Albany he had "big-time Jew lawyers" working for him.

Richardson, 52, was cleared by the league earlier this month and allowed to return to coaching, but Albany had already decided not to renew his contract.

"It was totally blown out of proportion," Richardson said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "It's over. Life goes on, you know what I mean? It was totally, totally, totally false."

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Michael Ray Racist is back!!!

If he said it, how can it be false?

3. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

The hiring, incidentally, comes with the NBA's full blessing (so I was told, anyway...)

4. zagoshe

What's next -- will Tim Hardaway be put in charge of the NBA's outreach program in the San Francisco area? Again, if you are a protected minority you can say whatever the hell you want and get a virtual pass.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

zag, You're showing your stripes. Your beloved Jerry Falwell was a rabid segregationist who railed against the civil rights movement from his pulpit until he made the calculated decision that it was getting him the wrong kind of publicity. He gets a free pass from you... But here you are tripping all over yourself to start a thread calling a black guy without a whole lot of influence on anything a racist. Who do you think was the bigger racist, Jerry Falwell or Michael Ray Richardson and whose beliefs do you think had more impact on more people?

I just find it interesting that you'd gloss over the horrid things Jerry Falwell did and then take glee in being the guy who starts the "Michael Ray Richardson is a racist!" thread. Kind of speaks to who you are, I'd bet.

6. zagoshe

You mean a black guy who is tired of black people playing the victim card? Yes, that's me.

You mean a black guy who is tired of black people living by a double standard when it comes to racism and blaming everyone else for their problems? Yes, that's me.

And Jerry Falwell and his many charities did more to help poor and black people in this country and around the world than you and all of your bed wetting friends like the Rev. Al could ever hope to. I don't nor have I ever excused anything Jerry Falwell has done nor did I call him a saint -- In fact I said many times he wasn't perfect by any measure, he just wasn't the bigot all of you clowns wanted to make him out to be.

That being said, I do find it interesting that you are somehow trying to defend Michael Ray Richardson because of his "lack of influence" and you are trying to muddy the waters by throwing a lightning rod like Jerry Falwell's name out there.

That's a nice attempt to keep that double-standard intact by fortunately and thankfully it doesn't fly with most people in this country any more.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Hey, at least spell the guy's first name correctly.

8. IU90

IU90 Member

Zag, you're black? Didn't realize that. That fits neatly into my "never would've guessed it" category.

And I wouldn't say protected minorites get a "virtual pass", but they do tend to get somewhat more lenient & forgiving treatment for un-PC slips of the tongue. And frequently when the issue is anti-semitism, no way a white leader could escape with career unscathed from some of the anti-semitic slurs guys like Jesse "hymietown" Jackson, Farrakhan and others have gotten away with over the years.

9. Russy Simmons

Russy Simmons New Member

Russy thinks we should all just get along

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That was a typical response that ignored what I said and went in a typically Zagosh direction. Either way, when did Michael Ray Richardson play a victim card? When did Michael Ray Richardson blame everyone for his problems?

Are those really your problems with the guy? Cause I am scratching my head.

11. zagoshe

Big Ragu -- I have no problems with the guy and I didn't ignore what you said, it was such an absurd rationalization and response I just let it stand on its own.

I do have problems with political correctness because, and this is a great example which was solidified by your hypocritical response, it is very selective in who and what can or cannot say something that is deemed offensive by someone.

And IU is correct -- for some reason anti-semitism is the one direction you can go, particularly if you are black, and it is not seen as something terrible.

I could only imagine the outrage by some of the self-appointed PC police on these threads, however, if, oh, say Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh, made similar stereotypical comments about Jews -- or Hispanics or Blacks, etc., etc.....

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Who's more popular?
    Michael Ray or Rush Limbaugh?

Draft saved Draft deleted