1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Vick's dogs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Great story from the NY Times ... Michael Vick still needs to rot in hell. I can't watch the slide show ... I know seeing those poor dogs will just make me angry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/02/sports/football/02vickdogs.html?_r=2&hp=&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

But there is one haunting sign that Georgia might have endured the most abuse of any of the 47 surviving pit bulls seized last April from the property of the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick in connection with an illegal dogfighting ring.

Georgia has no teeth. All 42 of them were pried from her mouth, most likely to make certain she could not harm male dogs during forced breeding.

Her caregivers here at the Best Friends Animal Society sanctuary, the new home for 22 of Mr. Vick’s former dogs, are less concerned with her physical wounds than her emotional ones. They wonder why she barks incessantly at her doghouse and what makes her roll her toys so obsessively that her nose is rubbed raw.

“I’m worried most about Georgia,” said the Best Friends veterinarian Dr. Frank McMillan, an expert on the emotional health of animals, who edited the textbook “Mental Health and Well-Being in Animals.” “You don’t have the luxury of asking her, or any of these animals: ‘What happened to you in your past life? How can we stop you from hurting?’

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's terrible. Does there come a point where it's best to put a dog like Georgia down because of emotional damage?

3. Flash

Flash Guest

I know people who have put their dogs down because they went mental -- violently aggressive -- but I think they're doing everything they can to save these dogs. I do wonder if that may be a little bit cruel, too.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

How much of that dog's identity was in her teeth? She can't chew her toys, her food, scratch her front half. Not to trivialize the animal, but what else is in her life? Not to mention the emotional damage cause by the actual removal of her teeth.

5. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

I thought this thread was going to be about Vick's co-defendants selling him further down the river.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

I don't know, dude. But I read that story, bawled like a baby and then hugged my dog.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

What beautiful dogs, and what wonderful people helping them.

Fuck Michael Vick with a chainsaw.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I just read the whole thing. That's some powerful imagery.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

After reading the story, 23 months in jail and $928,073 for the care of the dogs doesn't seem nearly enough.

10. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Again, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, let me remind you that Michael Vick had all the money and the fame in the world and he chose to spend a good chunk of his free time torturing and killing dogs.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Now, I don't care for rotweilers or pit bulls. I think they are inherently violent.
    That's just my opinion and it needs no commentary.
    I think folks who engage in dog fighting and cock fighting need to be jailed.
    These people, regardless of their income levels or status in life, are mentally warped for willingly participating in this sort of thing.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

fixed

Draft saved Draft deleted