1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Vick's an Eagle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

McNabb: "I lobbied for this...there is no threat for me."

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

His pets are another story.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

[​IMG]

"It's been nice knowing you, boy."

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Company line.

Like I said, I think Mcnabb is gonna regret this decision after about 4,000 questions about Michael Vick. And he better get off to a good start, because even though Vick can't hold McNabb's jock, the media hordes are all gonna go directly for the easy story if McNabb struggles.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Of course, McNabb added this will not become a distraction. Yeah, just like Owens didn't

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

No running back lasts carrying the ball 30 times a game. That comes out to 480 carries in a season. The record is 416. Backs who carry that kind of workload invariably break down sometime during the season and miss time.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I like the earlier analysis on here, that there's a 5% chance of it making them better and a 25% chance of it blowing up.

But the margins in the league between a good season and a bad season and a great season are so small ... you make the deal, as much as I hate it.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Compared to Reid's kids, the TO drama, the McNabb drama, having Vick around will be nothing. If anything it will provide the media with a designated distraction. He won't be the reason they make the playoffs and he won't be the reason they miss the playoffs. That said, why pay a player who you don't figure to depend on $1.6 mil?

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Perhaps there was a bidding war going on behind the scenes?

Just a thought.

But the best thing to come from this story (Vick finally signing a contract) is this -- the clock on PETA's 15 minutes has officially started and shortly we won't be hearing about them or from them because nobody will give a rat's ass. Saturday when he gets to camp, there will protestors and a story about them. By Sunday -- who cares?

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Given that McNabb's played only 16 games in a season only once in the past four years, with that being last year, the Eagles know they better have someone capable as a backup. He missed seven games in 2005, six in 2006 and two in 2007. And they certainly didn't like what they saw of Kolb when they thought about benching McNabb before they got hot from Thanksgiving on, so maybe this move was all about depth.

Vick wasn't going to get a starting job anywhere, so the only question for him was where. And if they sold him on a West Coast scheme, where theoretically he would become a more accurate quarterback, it would be the smart longterm move. If anything happens to McNabb in the meantime, then they might already have a longterm answer in the fold.

If this were McNabb five years ago, the move wouldn't make sense. But there have been rumors about how long McNabb will be in Philly for years now. This doesn't surprise me one bit, though I really thought Vick was going to sign with someone like Carolina (Delhomme on a short leash) or Seattle (Mora redux).

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Eagles fans will probably celebrate by killing pups and throwing them on the field, like Red Wings fans throw octupi.

Minnesota is going to live to regret this. Are you telling me that Brett Favre is a better quarterback than Michael Vick? At this point in time? And they spent all that time courting Favre?

Meanwhile, from the looks of their sterling preseason opener, Dallas might regret not hiring Vick as quarterback - or coach.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

After all the scrutiny from the Love Boat, no way to the Vikes regret passing on Vick.

Draft saved Draft deleted