1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Vick Sentencing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Assuming he starts serving immediately, it's November 2009 when he gets out of prison. He'd turn 30 just before training camp for the 2010 season. Does he ever play in the NFL again?

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I was hoping for a 36-month sentence, but so be it. Here's hoping 23 months will do some the man some good.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Hopefully not, but remember he's already in jail. I think he's got a month under his belt.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The only good jail does is to keep those inside away from those on the outside. And that's good enough for me.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Give the champagne the '72 Dolphins have stocked up to some dogs.

The dogs deserve it, more.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As ondeadline alluded to -- depends on what happens with the state charges before you can even cross that bridge.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

He's served one month. He'll have to serve 85 percent of the sentence, according to Roger Cossack, leaving him with about 19 or 20 months left. He'll likely get out in August, 2009. I'd be willing to bet some team takes a flier on him as a back up at that point.

8. I can definitely see that happening. He obviously will be far from game shape when he's released, but physically he'll be the same. I mean what else do you do in a prison besides workout. I am surprised he only got 23 months. I really thought he would be gone 4-5 years considering everything I've heard about the judge who was in charge of the case.

9. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

A couple of things I was curious about. Suppose novelist is right and Vick is released in August 2009. Will the league lift his suspension quickly enough to allow teams to sign him?

Another thing I found interesting was that the current facility Vick is staying does not allow inmates to lift weights. They can play basketball and stay in shape with other exercises. I don't know if that's typical in most correctional facilities. Maybe it's not that big a deal, but if Vick can't have access to the kind of equipment needed to stay in the kind of shape necessary to play in the NFL, I couldn't imagine seeing him being ready to play until 2010 at the earliest.

There's no denying his talents, but I never thought much of him as an NFL quarterback. I'd prefer never to see him take another snap again.

10. If that is the case, then 2010 it is. Someone is going to sign him and give him a chance again. What he did was despicable, but he'll have a chance to redeem himself. If Kobe Bryant, Steve Howe, Ray Lewis, etc., got a chance to redeem themselves, then Vick will too.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Do you people really think Vick is gong to walk out of prison and Goodell is going to reinstate him immediately?
    No fucking way.

Career over.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The XFL was just a few years before its time I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted