1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Vick out early?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

From AP

Former NFL quarterback Michael Vick pleaded guilty Tuesday to a state dogfighting charge, a move that could make him eligible to leave prison early and potentially speed up a return to pro football.
    Vick, 28, arrived wearing wrist and ankle shackles, but they were removed by the time he entered the courtroom. The former Atlanta Falcons star also pleaded not guilty to a count of cruelty to animals, but that count was dropped under his plea deal.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Not really surprised.

I think the government is satisfied with the point they made, I think the general public just doesn't care anymore, although I am sure there are those that would still like to see him burned at the stake -- I for one would welcome more jail time. The Government has spent millions already in prosecuting him and his cohorts, and Vick is crippled financially and there is no guarantee he will get a mega bucks deal upon his return to the NFL.

A) His reputation isn't exactly one many teams will be excited to bring into the fold.
    B) He still has time to serve and two years of rust is two years of rust (or will it be closer to three by the time he is out of jail with the investigation time, etc., included?)
    C) The climate in the NFL has changed since he was last in the NFL. I think the fad of the XBOX quarterback has passed. First it was Vick's inability to really develop as a passer, despite his unbelievable athletic ability. The Young disaster in Tennessee. The Tarvaris Jackson flop in Minnesota. JaMarcus Russell's struggles in Oakland. The regression of McNabb and Culpepper -- although that's more than likely age and injuries catching up. You look at the new guys that are becoming big names and having success -- Ryan, Flacco, Cassel, Orton, Rodgers, etc -- While they still have some mobility for the most part, they are pocketpassers first.
    D) The Toronto Argonauts may give him his best offer in regards to chance to play.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He pleads guilty to an ADDITIONAL charge, and his prison time is REDUCED?

OK, fine. I forgot about the "presumption of innocence."

All perps are always presumed innocent, regardless of conclusive proof of their guilt, regardless of conviction, regardless of anything. Everybody's always innocent, forever.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Oh, boy.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Tarvaris Jackson still sting?

The point I was trying to make it has always been Vick's contention that he will pay his creditors back with his next big pay day in the NFL. He'll get another shot somewhere, but the market for him isn't exactly flush with opportunities and the ever evolving style in the NFL is one reason why.

6. Big Circus

Ouch, dude. (And yes, he does. Very much so.)

Anyway, my "Oh, boy" was actually a reference to the common thread tying together your unsuccessful QB's, but I jumped the gun on it. You did leave out two black QBs, but one of them is probably the most successful running-style QB there is, so I can see why. I thought there was a racial undertone to your post, but reading it again, it's a lot less sinister than I originally had thought.

One quibble - JaMarcus Russell is hardly a running quarterback. He's got fewer rushing yards than Jay Freakin' Cutler. He's got a huge arm, but that's the only video-game quality he's got.

EDIT: Your point about changing offenses and Vick's future in the league is a good one. But ask yourself this - wouldn't you love to see him in the Wildcat?

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It is interesting to note that you mentioned just about every black quarterback in the league outside of Jason Campbell as "Xbox quarterbacks" - a moniker that certainly doesn't apply to McNabb and hasn't in years - and mentioned several white quarterbacks - including Kyle fucking Orton - among "successful" quarterbacks.

I think that's what Big Circus was referring to.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm fine with it if they determine that he's done his time and earned an early release. He's already served a substantial amount of time and I don't get the impression that he was sent to a Club Fed type place either.

I don't think he'll ever be effective in the NFL again, but I'm looking forward to watching him try and fail. I wonder what team, if any, will give him a shot.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

He could be out in July then it will be up to Goodell whether he gets reinstated immediately.
    I can't see him ever being a successful NFL starter again.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Mike Vick might be getting out of jail?

Paging Jerry Jones.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

damn you, da man. i was just posting those exact same words.

12. Big Circus

One of the Zombie Brothers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or their annoying sidekick:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted