1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Vick is out of money

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jul 8, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've said on here before that if Vick were smart -- and given his other choices, that is seriously open to question -- he would have been dumping cash into the Caymans or Switzerland long before any of this crap came out. But he appears to have always thought he was bullet proof.

2. lono

lono Active Member

Chapter 7 means everything you own is liquidated, with the proceeds going to the creditors.

Chapter 11 means you - well, the lawyers on both sides - work out a repayment plan, usually paying back somewhere between $.10 to $.50 on the dollar.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but they could be PAYING Michael Vick LLC. And if the check went to a corp., I don't think they can then go after the person.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Yeah. He has my sympathy.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

They say Chapter 11 is a little less of a blow on your credit report (obviously it is relative) but the bottom line is this -- I've had friends who did 11 and it didn't improve their situation because they still had to make payments -- and while they are usually pennies on the dollar- - when you have a hundred thousand in debt (I'm talking average working person, not the millionaires who think it is monopoly money) you are still trying to pay off a big portion of it.

However, a few years ago when my sister's loser ex left her with three kids and no education (she is a stay at home mom) or means of income and then she found out she had a bunch of credit lines and cards opened in her name by him --- she looked at the options and decided she needed to do a 7.

We all pitched in, helped her pay for the attorney's fee, which was about $1000 -- and the lawyer filed the paperwork for her (which through some non-profit for single moms we were able to get about half the lawyer's fee paid for) and she basically made about $90,000 in debt totally disappear.

The good news for her was she had no debt, no bills hanging over her head and nobody calling the house every day. She was able to get into a program for single mom's that helped her pay for an education at a tech school and she got a job in medical billing and then got a job.

(as an aside loser ex moved away to a different state but couldn't run and hide from child support and now his wages are being garnished at a much higher level than he would have had to pay had he just went to court because he owes her back child support.)

The bad news was obviously that she was saddled with bad credit for at least seven years (though there are actually several programs she's found to help her improve her credit rating every six months through making good on her payments. In fact, she was just approved for her first car loan since the whole debacle and her interest rate -- 11.5 -- while not outstanding is still worlds better than the 17 or 18 percent interest rates she was being quoted last year when she was trying to buy a new car) but at least she had peace of mind to know that she was essentially starting over.

Had she done an 11 -- she'd have had an extra $300 or $400 a month going out the door to pay a bill of $25,000 or so, which in her situation might as well been a million.

Of course, this is a different situation than Vick's but it is an example of how a chapter 7 can be something useful if used properly.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wow, zag.

Very informative.

Thanks.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.dailypress.com/media/acrobat/2008-07/40783893.pdf

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

As soon as he's out of prison, Mike's building a cockfighting ring in his backyard.

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Come on, somebody had to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted