1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Vick gets a contract offer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Re: Michale Vick gets a contract offer

Whatever Vick did was a walk in the park compared to what Ray Lewis did. But, yeah, it will be a PR disaster.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Re: Michale Vick gets a contract offer

Now, now, lets get this right. Ray Lewis didn't kill anyone. He simply obstructed justice in a murder investigation.

If somebody would be stupid enough to hire Vick, I would think it would be as a WR-KR, not necessarily a QB. He had terrible decision making skills and while at one point he was athletic enough to make some plays with his feet, that was two years ago. The average lifespan of an NFL player is quick.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

NFL = National Felons League

Good to know the full of shit commissioner has taken sucha hard line on scum like Adam Jones, Leonard Litle, Plaxico Burress, Michael Vick et al.

4. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Fuck the NFL.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Michael Vick, best I know, hasn't killed a human being, either. Dogs, yes. Humans, no. Big difference.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Probably every team but the Falcons and the Bengals have had conversations about PR plans to handle the deluge. Personally, I suspect that the onslaught will be shorter and lighter than expected.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

stories like these are a complete waste of time and reporting it is succumbing to the manipulation

Minor league team gets free publicity for doign something that has no basis in reality

its like my softball team making an offer to Barry Bonds

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

A question for the peanut gallery, because I don't know how the contract of the NFL applies to NFL Europe.
    Is there anything that says Vick can't sign with a team and be placed in NFL Europe for a year to see how he plays? Because of his legal status, would he be allowed to travel overseas?

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

NFL Europe no longer exists.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I thought it was just suspended... Shows what I know.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Ray Lewis didn't kill anybody

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Seems to me that the relative indifference to Leonard Little's offenses should diffuse the arguments that the outrage over Vick is driven primarily by race. Little, after all, is also black.
    I've always said -- and I know I'm not in the majority here -- that the attention given to Vick's crimes stems from the position he plays and the previously unknown nature of his crimes more than it results from race.
    By that I mean:
    ** Nobody cares about offensive linemen; everybody cares about quarterbacks.
    ** Sadly, we've heard of murder and rape and other offenses more heinous than dogfighting. We know they occur daily. But this thing -- training, torturing and killling dogs for the sport of it -- was so bizarre and unheard of that it got the nation's attention. The attention paid to it was probably disproportionate.
    But so is the frenzy about Swine Flu. The standard, regular flu has killed thousands of Americans this year. That's the case every year. We know about regular flu. But Swine Flu? It sounds worse, and it's different. So one death and the confirmation of a few dozen cases can send CNN into a frenzy.

Draft saved Draft deleted