1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Turner: Idiot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Be interesting to find out if professional athletes drive drunk at a higher or lower rate than the general public.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, if someone hasn't picked a designated driver before going out, there's going to be some drunk driving going on. After three beers is not the time to make that call.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I bet it's lower, for a couple reasons:

(1) They probably drink at a lower rate than the general public, particularly for that age group;
    (2) The guys in their drinking years probably live in the city and don't have to drive much when they go out.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I wonder how long it took for the booking officer to contact the media?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You wouldn't believe how much guys battle me on cabbing it to the bar on some of my friend weekends. Even when I pay for the ride there and back. Just all-out resistance. And this is guys in their 30s.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

You are blaming the cops for a drunk idiot going 32mph over the speed limit? Black, white, green or yellow, Michael Turner is a moron.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

When I was back home (Wisconsin, which explains a lot about this), at closing time I asked the bartender for the number to call a cab. She had to scramble to find a phone book because nobody had ever asked her that before. The bar had been in business for at least five years.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I blame Michael Turner for going 32 MPH over the speed limit.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Smart drinkers in the land of cheeseheads. LOL

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I was about to drop Jacquizz Rogers from one of my teams before hearing this news.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Wow. That's interesting.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm fortunate in that regard ... I've cut down on my drinking quite a bit since football season started, but when I do go out, it's to the bar that's a block from me so I only have to walk. But I've got a good friend who lives 10 minutes away who likes to meet up and usually gets pretty drunk. He has a standing invitation to crash on my couch if needed but often sneaks out and drives home. The reason? He likes to sleep in his own bed with his wife. And when he would drive his car this way, we'd suggest he cab it home, but he hated it because it was a pain in the ass to get back over the next day and get his car. I suspect that's where a lot of what Dick is talking about comes from.

Thankfully, he's gotten into the habit of having wifey (who's preggers) drop him off and then cab it home.

Draft saved Draft deleted