1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Silver says Brady out for the year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

How in the world was Pollard's path unrestricted? If the fullback lets him up, he probably gets to his feet and puts his helmet in Brady's chest. But the fullback continued to half-assedly block him to the ground. Pollard had every right to lunge forward. Brady stepped into the throw, and he's one of the few quarterbacks out there who DOES NOT wear a brace on his lead leg.

Football is a violent sport where decisions are made in split seconds time at top speeds. It's unreasonable to expect Pollard to think "Oh shit, I shouldn't surge forward because the quarterback might step up and I might get blocked a little bit more, forcing my trajectory right at his knee, so I guess I'll just lay on the ground and chill."

The bitch, and the beauty, of the NFL is that you have to have a lot of luck to stay healthy and that injuries are always going to be a part of the game. Brady should have been wearing a brace to protect his lead leg. But Pollard's path to him certainly wasn't unrestricted, and he certainly didn't try to injure him.

I'm not sure when and where Randy Moss had time to study the replays before his press conference, but it wasn't a dirty play, or one that should have been flagged. If Brady steps up six inches to the right, he probably doesn't get hurt. It's just a freak thing. But it's also part of the reason they pay quarterbacks so much coin. You're vulnerable.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I've seen the play, but have not watched it frame by frame. Wasn't Pollard pretty much already on the ground, falling down from being blocked when he hit Brady (restricting his path)? It didn't appear that Pollard was running and then dove all out after Brady's ankles.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you were to ask Pollard what he expected to do when he was on all fours and lunged at Brady, I'm guessing the response would be that he wanted to grab him or hit him below the knee to bring Brady down.

I know I am fighting a losing battle, but I am just against tackling a QB, while he is in the pocket, around the knees.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He lunged and Brady stepped into the lunging defender.

Rules should not be changed.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Post-padding?

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

By the way, this was brilliant. I've had the tune to that "Mercenaries" commercial running through my head since I read it.

7. david kaye

david kaye Member

Yes, Pollard should have given up on the play and stayed on the ground.

Then he could look for another team to play for next week.

Draft saved Draft deleted