1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Silver leaves Sports Illustrated for Yahoo Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scribbled_Notz, Jul 25, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Did he ever give Jemele Hill credit for borrowing her "ridin' with" idea?

2. Ok, I stand corrected. I remember seeing Robinson on ESPN after he broke the Bush story. And yes, he and Cole have been way out in front of it all the way along.

So that makes one big story that I can think of.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm surprised by all the fuss. I really hated his work, it will be alot easier to avoid now.

4. yahoo broke the attorney leaking the grand jury info in the balco case.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I think he writes all right, technically, but I can't stand his biases, as I've pointed out before:

Some, however, are more subjective than others, and thus more likely to bury ledes and wax poetic about - and advocate for - felons' returns to the NFL's ranks. Something I discussed about Silver once before on SJ:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/41121/

Wonder if Silver will be so kind if Mike Vick is found guilty of a felony(-ies)?

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This development is as shocking, to me, as Lindsay Lohan's latest arrest. When I heard about this on my Trio, I was hanging with my boys at DB Bistro Moderne, enjoying a $50 kobe beef burger, savoring its filling of boned short ribs braised in red wine, foie gras, and preserved black truffles. I was so distraut, the chef brought over a $2,500 bottle of 1982 Chateau Margaux, compliments of Marshall Faulk, who picked up the tab. Silver has always been the Hiphopopotamus of the sports journalism world, with prose that glows like phosphorous, poppin’ off the top of his esophagus and rockin’ this metropolis. Right now, I am as mad as Tony Soprano would be after getting a parking ticket. All the best to the Silver Sword, however. With this move, he's brave enough to be a true Gryffindor and he'll have so much bling, his black book will rival Nick Lachey's. Hit hit him up on the iPhone, ladies, especially you, L.C. from The Hills. You know that numba. Peace.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yahoo is a corporation in flux right now. Wall Street thinks it should create more content, so maybe this talented group will get more exposure. I have too much to read as it is to seek out Yahoo sports, and I'm sure other customers are like me. They need to push the product better.
    I'm not a Silver fan. The lifestyles of athletes bore me. I think a poster had a good point. How much of Silver's access stemmed from his being with SI. I'm guessing all of it.

8. I didn't know they broke that. Ok, so they have broken some pretty big stories. Then why aren't they more of a "destination" site for sports? They sure as hell don't promote their staff. All those guys, and all I ever hear about Yahoo is fantasy sports.

9. Mmmm_Donuts

Mmmm_Donuts Member

This is a really good point. There is definitely a disconnect when writers leave for Yahoo. While ESPN plays their guys up, Yahoo's guys - like Cole, Robinson and Wojnarowski - have practically vanished since they left newspapers. I wonder if that will change with Silver. They've gotta promote that guy, right?

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Let me be the first to applaud you, sir. Bravo.

11. Excellent.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Seconded. That was outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted