1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Silver leaves Sports Illustrated for Yahoo Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scribbled_Notz, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Mmmm_Donuts

Mmmm_Donuts Member

I never even thought about that, but I suppose they could. How would they do that? Seems like it would be way too complicated.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just trying to follow your thinking on this....why go to print when you've hired all these people to boost your web traffic?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Because we know the future of journalism is in print... ;D

4. Mizzougrad96

What's Yahoo's sports lineup now?

5. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Thanks. Why would anyone want to put out a print product? So expensive. Online is much cheaper. And Silver is making serious bank.

As for Yahoo ... Jason Cole has been killin' the Vick story. Beating Mort/Clayton/Len P badly, IMO.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No bias there, eh Biglead? I mean, there are a few dozen of us left who do enjoy a good print product every now and then.

7. Mmmm_Donuts

Mmmm_Donuts Member

Based on their analysts page this is Yahoo's lineup (not including pro analysts). If I forget someone, please add.

Football:
    Michael Silver, Jason Cole and Charles Robinson

Baseball:
    Tim Brown and Jeff Passan

Basketball:
    Adrian Wojanarowski (sp?)

General columnist(s):
    Dan Wetzel

GA:
    Josh Peter (Is he still working there? I haven't seen anything in a while from him)

NASCAR:
    Bob Margolis and Jerry Bonkowski

Boxing/MMA:
    Kevin Iole (sp?)

Colleges:
    No idea

Hockey:
    No idea

8. Yeah, Yahoo is putting together this lineup in order to branch out into print. Also, Apple will be following up the iphone with a brand-new telegraph.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I would say this would be akin to Henry Ford investing heavily in the horse carriage production business after a decade or so in the automobile business.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

now i have to go to yahoo to see what chad johnson ordered for lunch?

11. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Now that's funny. You don't ever have to check the byline...A Silver feature is ALWAYS going to start at a restaurant or a nightclub or maybe an athlete's "Cribs"-worthy house. Good times.

12. Mizzougrad96

Silver is an interesting guy. I've heard some say he's as hated as Pearlman, but I enjoy his writing...

What's the over/under on what he got from Yahoo? I'm guessing about $350K...

Draft saved Draft deleted