1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Silver leaves Sports Illustrated for Yahoo Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scribbled_Notz, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Holy crap. Can anyone confirm this??

http://thebiglead.com/?p=2793

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Party at Yahoo.

3. Silver's column mug for Yahoo:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Guy gets great access to great players, but I've never been a fan of Silver's. Tries a little too hard to come off as super-freaking-cool in print.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's a great hire and I always love to see writers and editors get these kind of deals, but I can't help but wonder if Yahoo is going to have buyers' remorse in a year or two and wonder why it spent millions putting together its staff.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Yahoo! has excellent analysis from a Jeff Passan and friends on baseball. Maybe with their next hire, they'll get excellent analysis on football.

Always read their writers as Yahoo! going for a less MTV, more CNN style of sports journalism. Considering the type of writers they have hired, the main thing Silver has in common with them is that he's a West Coast guy. Seems a misstep to me.

Sort of like biglead's misstep here:

"Mike Silver long ago surpassed Dr. Z in terms of relevance, becoming the magazine’s No. 2 NFL writer by cozying up to Peyton Manning and writing Super Bowl cover stories."

Silver is indeed the No. 2 writer. But he cozies up to everyone he covers, not just the NFL dudes. And "relevance" . . . . . to WHOM?

7. You think he'll still get that great access at Yahoo? I kind of figured he got that access because he worked at SI. It will be interesting to see if all that clout carries over. I bet it won't.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Confirmed through Pipeline.
    Yahoo has Silver Lining.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Is there any chance that Yahoo is going to add print to the mix? They sure have the folks to do it at this point.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

They do have the staff and that's an interesting observation heineken. I wouldn't have thought of it, but I'd buy it.

11. Mmmm_Donuts

Mmmm_Donuts Member

Actually, Yahoo already has very good analysis with the guys they have. Not up there with ESPN.com, but better than Sportsline and Fox. SI.com was probably better with Don Banks, Silver and Peter King, but taking Silver out of that equation knocks them down a peg.

To me, ESPN.com is and probably always will have the best NFL coverage out there. But I think Silver gives Yahoo an argument for being next in line. Then again, I don't know what Silver is going to do. That's a factor. Anyone know what he is going to do? I doubt it will be the same role as with SI.com.

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Boooo!!!!!!

:D

Draft saved Draft deleted