1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Silver -- I just don't get it...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Aug 28, 2007.

1. SF, I'm not against I/Me, when used correctly. If it's a column, shit, do what you want. But in a feature story where absolutely nothing pertained to Silver whatsoever, it was like he just injected himself into the story.

One of my favorite columns I ever wrote was about how I thought the college bball team I covered would react after a tough NCAA Tourney loss. I wrote it I/me because I'd been covering the team for four years, and I knew the players each personally. As writers, sometimes we can't convey how a person acts under duress, or how he handles a loss. Sometimes, a gamer doesn't allow for that. But in this instance, having known the players so well, yes, I injected myself into the column. Given a second chance, maybe I wouldn't have.

But for me, the overriding theme here is: When is it necessary and when is it not? If it leaves more questions than answers, it's not. If it feels like a "look-at-me" ploy, it's not...

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Here's why, SF...

It leaves me with an empty feeling, just wanting to know so much more about the scene. When I read it, only three things came into my mind.

1) "Hmm, interesting drink. What a tool."

2) Was the bar dark or was it light? Was it crowded or empty? Was he surrounded by a bunch of 'lovely ladies' -- and man do i hate that line -- or was his entire entourage? Were there any more teammates there? (Further explanation-- earlier in the story, there was a line about how Edge went to Miami to celebrate the SB with former Colts teammates. Well, now is he that friendly with the Cards?)

3) It screamed -- LOOK AT ME. I'M THEEEE MICHAEL SILVER.

It's one thing to have access and to you use it well...shit, imagine being Talese and hanging out for weeks with Sinatra. THAT's access. And it's another thing to be standing at a bar with a guy and suckling at the teet of his fame.

It reminds me a lot of Arash Markazi, except that Markazi is a scene columnist, not a features writer.
    [/quote]

Snuka, at first you thought the description of the drink was completely unnecessary, and now you wish Silver had gone 12 layers deeper into detail? Make up your mind. Your real problem is with Silver's look-at-me writing style, which is understandable. You're on solid ground there. But do yourself a favor and drop the stuff about the drink detail, because you're really not making any sense.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think what Fly's getting at is that the drink added very little, if anything to the scene. The drink doesn't tell us a whole lot about Edge that we don't already know. Delving further into the rest of the scene at the bar could have spoken volumes about him as a person or him as a football player.

I tend not to be very good at describing exactly what the physical scene looks like, though I'll sometimes add a visual if it's directly germane to a story. I didn't think the postgame outfit a Maryland lacrosse player had on was significant, but the fact he was looking down with a somber expression on his face despite scoring a hat trick in the team's loss to John's Hopkins spoke volumes.

And, also for the record, I hate "lovely ladies." Sounds like editorializing. The only good thing I'll say about it is that he didn't become the print version of Don Imus by describing them in a less complimentary fashion.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

...or not. At some point you have to assume that if more description was necessary or germane, the writer would have given it to us, especially if he's attentive enough to detail to describe exactly what Edge was drinking. You don't have to paint every picture with a million brush strokes.

Edge. Phoenix nightclub. Wee hours. Lots of hotties. Tequila and lime. I pretty much got the picture, don't you?

And keep in mind perhaps the most important point -- this was not supposed to be a profile of Edgerrin James., it was a web column. If Silver had gone on and on about the scene in the bar, I'm sure he would have been accused of over-writing. Bottom line is I think the well-placed distaste for Silver's style sometimes leads people to find problems with his writing that aren't there.

5. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

I'd like to poke his "I" out.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

If thine "I" offend thee, pluck it out.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Dr. Z
    Jason Cole
    Sam Farmer (LA Times)
    Jeffri Chadiha
    John Clayton
    Gregg Easterbrook (TMQ, was at espn, lost his job as we all know)

I prefer Peter King over Silver; at least he writes about football.
    Silver writes about how cool he is because he got to watch rich people hang out.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The constant hummer the big lead wants to give Silver is embarrassing.

Tim Layden now writes plenty about the NFL. He's much better. Seth Wickersham? Better. Tim Keown? Better. Tom Friend? Better.

9. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

easterbrook is back at espn:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrookpreview/070828

10. That's fine. I do, too. But Silver tries to show how oh-so-hip he is, tossing lingo and pop culture references in there. That's the difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted