1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Silver -- I just don't get it...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Playthrough -- that is an immaculate detail. Hell yes that belongs...because it has a sense of time and place. Not Edge drinking a fuckin tequila

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Edge is in a Phoenix nightclub, in the wee hours, surrounded by babes, drinking a Patron's and lime. How is that not a sense of time and place?

3. Because it's not after a tough loss at a place where he usually orders the same thing, and then, this one time, he switches it up.

This detail is simply to prove: I'M Michael Silver, I get to hang out with Edge James, and you don't! Nah nah nah

4. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

It also doesn't read "I was with Peyton at the bar and he ordered a martini...."

The writer is giving a sense of time and place without inserting himself.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Full disclosure...that story came from a Q&A with St. Elmo's proprietor in a local Indy magazine. Made me think that if you can't get SI-level access by eating a steak dinner with the star athlete in his/her favorite restaurant, you can still get great detail by trying to get the restaurant's owner. Cheaper too.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The objection to Silver putting himself in the scene is valid. The objection to descriptive detail is not. If Silver had written "Edge was at the bar with a drink," any good editor would have asked what kind of drink? A bottled water? A ginger ale? A Budweiser? A Corona? And what kind of bar? An out of the way neighborhood joint? A crowded nightclub? All those details form a picture. No, it's not as perfect as the Peyton Manning example, but few scenes are. I don't like some of Silver's excesses, either, but this seems more a criticism of the writer than the writing.

7. A good editor would've said, "Why is this necessary?"

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Yeah, you're right. Why is any of it necessary? Why not just print a transcript of the interview and be done with it?

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

Snuka, I think you're half-right here, which means, if I've done my math correctly, you're half-wrong, too.

I think the detail about the drink is good. It's not especially important, but if it had just said "drink," I'd wonder, What kind of drink? Now we know. Patron says, Money. Lime juice says, Pussy who can't drink even good tequila straight. There we have it.

If someone's drinking a beer, I usually name the beer. A guy who drinks Schlitz is different from a guy who drinks Sapparo, say. Can or bottle or glass says something, too.

That all being said, the "told me" shit is hateful stuff. Who the fuck else would he be telling it to? The potted plant in the corner?

The reader is smart enough to know you're there. So, if you do get great access -- if you find yourself in Peyton Manning's truck on the way to the game -- and you want to flaunt it, just write that scene, and write it well and with intimacy, and everybody will know you were in the truck on the way to the game. People can make that connection.

Anything more than that is hacky, juvenile bullshit.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Precisely. That's exactly what I was trying to say. There's only one thing wrong with this passage from Silver:

"All those years without a fullback, I didn't realize what I was missing," James said early Sunday as we stood near the bar at a bustling Phoenix nightclub. He was sipping a small glass of Patron and Rosie's Lime Juice while surrounded by the usual assemblage of lovely ladies.

Change the "we" stood near the bar to "he" stood near the bar, and it's fine.

11. How bout this: What if he added just one or two more bits of detail. Something about the fans, if they were clamoring over him, or if he wasn't getting noticed. What about if any of his teammates were there. What about if it was his first glass or his sixth.

Is that a compromise?

Draft saved Draft deleted