1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Silver brings more self-deifying than all of Grantland

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Agg6rUfNbFNHmE12cZvPGek5nYcB?slug=ms-silver_dennis_rodman_induction_081311

So on one hand, it's a little absurd how large Michael Silver's head is at this point. This is hardly his only such outburst. On the other hand, he had particularly unique stories to tell, and while some of the pompous stench could have been washed from this column, the stories were very interesting.

A side point: In a story this raunchy, on the internet, does anyone else feel it was unnecessary to edit out the profanity?

Thoughts?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

He's so insufferably pompous that he turned those interesting stories into a collectively dreadful bore. He sucked all the life out of what should have been a *groan* slam dunk story.

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I heard he used to regularly post up Kerr and would have been a better basketball player than Kerr if he had taken that path.

(please add sarcasm font)

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

On Twitter, I honestly feel sorry for the guy. Everybody who praises him, he retweets. How pathetic is that? "See here, somebody likes me!"

Covering the NFL lockout, I quickly found a rule of thumb that worked very well for me: Whatever Silver says, assume the opposite is true. In March, he thought a deal was at hand. In late July, he was pessimistic. Gold.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sways with most-every breeze . . . broadly-insufferable . . .

6. Fran Curci

"Broadly insufferable" ---- that is on the money.

7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Michael Silver has become Yahoo's Rick Reilly, without the overbloated paycheck (although his IS significantly above what everyone else at Yahoo is getting) ...

8. Fran Curci

Reilly is self-effacing in comparison.

9. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I thought the column was pretty cool. it is undeniably self-aggrandizing, but reading through those parts was a small price to pay for having the special window Silver could give into the Dennis Rodman HOF experience.

I mean, compare this column to a bad example of Grantland writing, which could generically be described as "I, the writer, am having this fairly common experience, but because it is happening to me, it is fascinating." At least Silver takes me someplace interesting. It can get lost behind Silver's personality sometimes, but he is an excellent reporter who makes smart use of his access.

10. yeah, i have no problem with it

pretty damn cool piece

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I loved the piece. Some folks need to just chill.

12. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

My god. Finally. I thought I was alone on this. IIIIIIIIIIIII can't stand iiiiiiiit.

Draft saved Draft deleted