1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Savage for President? Can 5 million people be wrong?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spup1122, Mar 18, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Zeke I shall agree to disagree because I think somebody should put a bullet in Nader's brain.
    But I don't want to take away from the conversation on why Michael Savage is a very bad person.

2. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I gotta admit, I don't think Michael Savage is dangerous, unless you think chimpanzees and rotweilers will soon unite to take over the U.S. From the little I've heard, this nutter will attract no one with an IQ higher than I can jump. In feet, not inches.

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

That's what they said about Jean-Marie Le Pen in France, until his National Front party finished second in an election. Don't underestimate the racist crackpot element.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Isn't there a rumor/belief out there that this is all some great put-on by Michael Weiner, the former Beat-poet hanger-on? I thought I read that somewhere.

Not saying I buy into it, but it would be one terrific joke.

5. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

B7, France has economic and assimilation problems the U.S. doesn't. I just don't see it happening here. And all y'all waiting to jump, I'm making a comparison with France, not claiming perfection.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

There have been times when if it weren't for the New York accent I could have sworn I was listening to Fred Phelps.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I, for one, welcome our new alien overlords.

8. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

It's not a joke, but it is an act. If you look back at his career, you can see it's just all about getting rich. First it was, well he calls them books but they are little more than pamphlets, about herbs and healing and all that new age stuff. Then he was, if I remember correctly, a peddler, literally going from town to town selling whatever people would buy. On his show, he mentions long periods of unemployment and tries to lead you to believe that he couldn't find work because "the man" was keeping him down. In reality, he was a lazy S O B who wouldn't work.

Then he lucked into a fill in radio gig in San Francisco and found out that if you went right of even Rush Limbaugh, people would still buy the schtick.

So, that's the schtick he sells. I don't know whether he believes any of it. I am positive, he doesn't believe all of it.

I have also heard from someone that worked at one of the stations he was physically working from, that when he goes into his, "I refuse to take calls right now because I am certain that none of you can present this stuff as well as I", it's because he doesn't have any calls. 400 stations means that people are listening, you can't argue with ratings. But it doesn't mean they are buying it enough to paticipate.

9. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Points taken. But if the economy were to take a serious downturn and an extremely charismatic figure came along and tried to pin the troubles on "those people" (say, illegals), I think he'd get more support than we might like to think. Doesn't mean he'd finish second in a national election, though.

10. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I can't think of a single U.S. politician during my lifetime--not Kennedy, not Reagan, not Clinton--charismatic enough to pull that off. And as for Michael Savage, he has the charisma of a turnip gone bad.

There are enough saps around to provide "Savage" with a viable audience, but I'd been willing to bet less than half of his regular listeners would vote for him for an important office. I suspect some folks listen just to increase their level of furor. The guy is a laughable dolt who has found a way to feed the monkey.

Example. Pat Buchanan: never to be elected, no matter what the state of the economy.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I remember a few weeks ago, he ripped into Wolf Blitzer (a favorite target of his) because Blitzer was interviewing an Army officer who explained how helicopters were being shot down. He said it was wrong for CNN to tell the terrorists how to shoot down helicopters, though I'm pretty sure anyone who wants to shoot down a helicopter doesn't need CNN to tell him how to do it.
    The "Pendelton Eight" is a favorite cause of his. He says those Marines were brought up on charges for doing their job. No, they're on trial because they allegedly shot civilians in cold blood. And don't give me this "Before they shoot their guns they have to consult a manual" crap.
    He said the media doesn't want people to know that the Bosnian kid who shot up a mall in Utah was a terrorist. But didn't the police say there was no evidence he was linked to any extremist groups? (So I guess when they say it's not terrorism, it's terrorim?)
    Did they teach logic at Cal, NYU or Hawaii? I guess he missed that class.

Draft saved Draft deleted