1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Sam Says He Is Gay; May Become First Publicly Gay Player in N.F.L.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Be a good fit with The Browns

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He isn't anywhere near as good as Jarvis Jones. There's a big gap between a 1st round talent and a 5th round one. Sam had a late 1st/early 2nd round bookend in Kony Ealy on the other side.

That said, he's a draftable talent and a potential long-term starter.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So basically half the players didn't go in the first round? That's kind of surprising considering we are talking about the premier player in what is by far the best NFL prep conference for defensive players. It really should be 12 of 12 first-rounders.

I don't know if the rumors, which now we learn were fairly well-known, were priced into the projection of third round or lower. But it doesn't strike me as too unusual that he would be judged a third-round talent.

However, if he isn't gone by the third round, Goodell is going to start sweating bullets.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the jersey Sam Rutigliano wore for six seasons at practice as the Cleveland Browns head coach. He wanted his players to regard him as one of the gang.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That works for all types of sexuality I believe.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Marcus Smart. You're officially off the front page all week.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Kony hasn't been good since 2012.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Good for him.

Mike Freeman must be upset. He has spent the last few years itching to be the one to break this type of story.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Three things...

Which would be the ideal organization to draft him? I would guess an established coach with established management and a few leaders inside the clubhouse to help Sam out. Denver, Ravens, Steelers, 49ers, Patriots, Seahawks and Green Bay quickly come to mind.

And I will be amazed if Sam stands alone as the only openly gay player in the NFL this season. I could easily see 5-10 veterans step forward as well, some maybe very big names, to help deflect the spotlight. I could this happening in the next few weeks.

Jokes about this also trivialize what this player is trying to do.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

http://deadspin.com/herm-edwards-suggests-mike-sam-is-bringing-baggage-in-1519691334?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Time for Herm Edwards to fade away
    "...Edwards made an awful attempt to compare Mike Sam to a "player with off the field issues [...] he's bringing baggage into your locker room."

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How bad will the NFL look if he doesn't get drafted? I think that's a real possibility.

I give Sam a ton of credit. He has everything to lose and this is probably the worst time for something like this to be made public.

A lot of NFL teams are going to see the media storm at the combine and want no part of it. I don't think they mind that he's gay as much as they mind the potential distraction it could bring.

I agree with the sentiment that you're not going to see a young or struggling team take a shot on this guy. If he gets drafted, it will be by a team like the Patriots, Niners, Packers, Broncos, Ravens...

Hell, the Broncos might take him just so the focus will stop being on how badly they shit the bed in the Super Bowl. :D

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Jerry Jones is so batshit crazy, he'll draft Sam and sign Tebow just to get people to talk about ... Jerry Jones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.