1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Sam Says He Is Gay; May Become First Publicly Gay Player in N.F.L.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He isn't the player Aldon Smith is -- speed, body shape, violent antisocial tendencies etc. -- but as to the "undersized" label, consider that Smith is listed at 6-4, 265. Sam goes 6-2, 260.

He wouldn't be undersized at all as a pass-rush specialsit in a 3-4. And yeah, the 49ers could probably count on him getting a good reception from the home crowd.

"Third to seventh" is a wide range. I have to believe, just by the value of the position, he's a lot closer to third.

2. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Our culture is never "ready" for anything until it happens, IMO. Somebody always comes along and does it before we're "ready."

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good for him.

And it's the reactions of the fans and trolling types in media and religion, not his teammates, that will give him the most problems. There have always been gay athletes and I would think many of them had teammates that knew.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I think it was pretty well-known, certainly around the league at the time, that Ernest Givins was gay.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Jonathan A. Martin ‏@J_Martin71 26m

Hats off to you Michael Sam, that takes some guts #respect

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

MizzouGrad suspects that Sam is making this announcement because he is gay.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This is a lot closer to the truth than most people around here would like to admit.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

That's the distraction part. The fact that he likes men won't worry coaches and GMs. The fact that every single media outlet will be following him and his team's every move does. This wasn't a distraction at Mizzou because the media didn't report it or didn't know. Had he come out, that locker room would have been swarmed.
    Like one GM said, paraphrasing, it's going to be an issue when every single media from Good Housekeeping to The Today Show is asking everyone on the team it.
    I'd love to see him end up in New England. That would piss the media right off. Belichick traditionally doesn't let the rookies talk too much.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I also breathlessly await the first "Dolphins should draft Sam to show they've changed their culture" article.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Here's the bottom line as far as I'm concerned. I don't give a shit who he's bedding. If he can play, he's in the NFL. If he can't, he's hopefully using his degree in getting another job.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Michael Sam has everything to lose on this.

Jason Collins timed his news to give himself a second career once no one wanted to sign him.

I laugh at Mizzou in every sports but respect Sam's stand.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Oh God, don't let Green Bay pick him, I don't think my heart can take the endless onslaught of witty plays on their nickname.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.