1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Sam Says He Is Gay; May Become First Publicly Gay Player in N.F.L.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Coaches at the University of Missouri divided players into small groups at a preseason football practice last year for a team-building exercise. One by one, players were asked to talk about themselves — where they grew up, why they chose Missouri and what others might not know about them.

As Michael Sam, a defensive lineman, began to speak, he balled up a piece of paper in his hands. “I’m gay,” he said. With that, Mr. Sam set himself on a path to become the first publicly gay player in the National Football League.

“I looked in their eyes, and they just started shaking their heads — like, finally, he came out,” Mr. Sam said Sunday in an interview with The New York Times, the first time he spoke publicly about his sexual orientation.

Mr. Sam, a 6-foot-2, 260-pound senior, went on to a stellar season for Missouri, which finished 12-2 and won the Cotton Bowl. He was named a first-team all-American. He was the defensive player of the year in the Southeastern Conference, widely considered the top league in college football. Teammates voted him Missouri’s most valuable player.

http://nyti.ms/1aLva6P

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Wow. Huge news.

The first round of the NFL draft is going to be agonizingly over-analyzed until he's picked.

3. YankeeFan

He said he decided to come out publicly now because he sensed that rumors were circulating.

If he told his college teammates, as the story says, then surely the player development folks running the draft for each NFL team knew, as would his future coach and teammates.

I think he'll face less downside, and more potential upside as a result of going public.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Good for him. I applaud his courage. From now on I will be a lifelong fan of Michael Sam.

For those who say "why do we need to know his sexual orientation?" I say think of the other side of the equation, how many times have people been the subject of a homophobic comment as a way to put them down? IMHO, there is a definite need for the equation to balance out.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Holy crap.

I type this while wearing my Missouri football sweatshirt.

This is incredible. He was unreal this year.

And this ...

At a showcase game for college seniors last month, several scouts asked Mr. Sam’s agent, Joe Barkett, questions about whether Mr. Sam had a girlfriend or whether Mr. Barkett had seen him with women.

... does not reflect well on the NFL.

But the reaction -- non-reaction actually -- of Mizzou teammates in August and throughout the year is as big of a story.

6. AtticusFinch

AtticusFinch Member

Good for Mr. Sam, I can only imagine how much courage he has.

7. YankeeFan

Not surprising though.

If he doesn't come out, they are more apt to use this knowledge against him. Now, it will draw more scrutiny.

8. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

That was my initial read too.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The teams that bypass Mr. Sam and the others to follow will be like the teams that failed to load up on blacks in the 60's and fell behind (I'm looking at you Bosox).

10. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I don't think his stock was sky-high anyway. 3-5th based on the stuff I saw. But still tremendous news.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Guess he won't be eating at a certain Oklahoma restaurant.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but how many Super Bowls has he won?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.