1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Sam Reality Show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 15, 2014.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Sure he could. I'm just saying as a nearly-non drafted player who has physical and athletic limitations and is fighting very much an uphill battle to make the Rams roster (because of his worthiness, and not just because he's gay), this is an unnecessary distraction. Even an hour or two a week.

If you had to put Sam in one of these 2 categories, which one do you think would be more fitting: He's a football player who happens to be gay, or he's a gay man who happens to play football?

I'm not saying either one is better, but I think we could all guess which one every single NFL coach would rather have in his locker room. And which one is destined for a longer and more celebrated NFL career.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Milk it for all it's worth while you can, I suppose. Two years from now, perhaps no one will remember who he is.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is going to be such a disaster. I can't wait to watch...

4. Mizzougrad96

I predict the Rams will be accomodating.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I can't wait for when his Rams teammates inevitably let it leak that they're not too happy with Sam's attention-grabbing and the NFL starts fining people left and right for it.
    Training camp is in St. Louis. The re-education camp is where?

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

No chance. It has to end well.

7. Mizzougrad96

I haven't read the locked Sam thread. I was on vacation during the draft.

I think the chances that someone at the NFL found out the teams that were offering Sam a free agent contract (supposedly there were four...) and lightly encouraged someone to pick him at the end of the round. I'm not suggesting in any way that Goodell forced anyone to make the pick, but I would not be surprised at all by a "It would be really good for the league if he's picked... and it will be really bad for the league if he's not..."

It's also not like he's a reach in the slot where he was drafted.

Fisher has to be fucking pissed right now.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

New cars for all Rams season ticket holders?

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They'll have their choice of a Miata or a VW Beetle.

10. Mizzougrad96

I think his focus is on making the team, but I think he's also under a lot of pressure to document this "historical moment"

The Rams just have to live with it, and hope it's not too much of a distraction. I think, based on how Sam kept a low profile between the combine and the draft, that he won't be much of a distraction, but I guarantee you the Rams are not happy about this, assuming they didn't know and I can't imagine that they did.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Even if he went to them and said he wanted to do it, you've got to figure the Rams had no power to really say no. If they do, then Sam's people launch the narrative that they're trying to keep his sexuality under wraps.

If he doesn't already, you've got to figure Fisher will regret ever drafting him.

12. Mizzougrad96

Right. It would be a PR disaster if Sam asked the Rams if this was OK and they said no.

Draft saved Draft deleted