1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Rosenberg on Charlie Weis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Good stuff:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7243060

This train wreck at Notre Dame has got many absolutely giddy. That's what happens when the coach is a runaway egomaniac.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Good read, though many of his points are speculative and not necessarily factual.

3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Good hammer job.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Love or hate - the coach or the columnist - credit to Rosenberg for mentioning the biggest reason Charlie Weis will not follow Tyrone Willingham out the door this year or next ... or next.

The 10-year deal Weis signed in South Bend two years ago has married the coach and school for a while. That was the biggest omission I found in all the talking heads and their discussion of the subject. The only one I recall getting this right was Michael Wilbon on "Pardon The Interruption" on the MNF segment in Philly on Monday.

It's reminiscent of Tommy Bowden and the only thing saving him at Clemson the last couple of years. IPTAY can't begin to dream of a contract payoff if Terry Don Phillips were to show Tommy the door. Not happening. Same with Weis in South Bend.

Rant on.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Shit is soooooo going to hit the fan if they lose to the Spartans on Saturday. I hope they get killed. But I also know the Spartans have a tendency to blow games like this. But it's a new team now with D'Antonio there, right? Man, do I hope so.

6. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Charlie sounded rather subdued on ESPN during my noon workout.

Good old MSU, the only school that offered me a scholarship. I always pull for the silly bastards.

7. IU90

IU90 Member

A serious slam piece, but noticeably bereft of actual facts to support its theme that Weis is supposedly this self-obsessed egomaniac. He takes one line Weis said once that ND's offense would have a "schematic advantage" and runs amuck with it.

Funny how 2 years ago all you heard was praise for Weis and now all you hear is bashing.

8. I think it has a lot to do with the way he prepared this year's team - three different offenses in three different games. And all the QB secrecy before the season so he could supposedly trick Chan Gailey. He was smug about having this big tricky secret, and then Ga Tech just absolutely shellacked him and his offense.

So it's more than one comment a few years ago.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hilarious.

Weis has done just about absolutely everything absolutely wrong this season.

See, one thing nobody wants to talk about -- it's the "elephant in the room" (hahah) -- is that a slovenly fatass like Weis is always operating on Strike Two when it comes to personal credibility with elite-class athletes.

Notre Dame's roster is made up of players who at least believe themselves to be elite-class athletes. We can get into a long and boring argument exactly how elite-class they actually are, whether Tyrone Willingham actually left the cupboard bone-bare (which I believe to be horsecrap anyway), but regardless of whether the ND players average 2.8 stars or 3.5 stars as recruits, virtually all of them were kick-ass athletes in high school, and have been most of their lives.

Elite-level athletes have a very strong prejudice that blatantly out-of-shape people cannot possibly know a damn thing about what it takes to play the game. Now Weis can partially overcome this with hot air about the miracles he worked with the Patriots (who seem to have done just fine since he left), and add to that the endless hosannahs from the ND media machines pumping out baloney about what a genius he is, and most of the players can probably convince themselves he really is an incomparable genius of the game.

That works for a while, it's fine as long as you beat up on cupcakes, until you start getting the shit kicked out of you by virtually every decent team you face. Then the players start to possibly doubt the incomparable genius of the coach, although he keeps talking about it all the time, just to make sure they don't forget it.

But there's another problem. After every loss, what does Weis do? Well, he says "I take full responsibility for the loss," then goes on and on and on and on about how he drew up a wizard gameplan, had everything all schemed out to win the game, "but we just didn't get the execution we wanted." In other words, "I coached good, but the players played bad."

Now players can certainly develop loyalty and belief in a coach, regardless of whether he looks like John Goodman or Arnold Schwarzenegger, but when he repeatedly, again and again and again, throws the players under the bus, that loyalty wears pretty thin. IF a coach of ANY physical appearance is going to develop true loyalty from the players, they have to know he will take a bullet for them, stand behind them in a snowstorm of shit, defend them to the death. Instead, Weis just continues this mantra of continually throwing the players under the bus (by implication).

Plus the continuous and monotonous scapegoating of the recruiting of the Willingham era. Probably one-third of the team is still leftover from Willingham -- they were recruited by him. When Weis, by implication, says Willingham's recruiting was shit, he's telling these players he thinks they're shit too.

Then of course you have the whole fiasco of the quarterback fandango leading up and into the first game. Even 18-22 year-old college players can see how utterly stupid that whole episode was, how it utterly fucked everyone involved -- Jones, Sharpley and even Clausen (thrown in ice-cold, supposedly still hampered by injury, while the Georgia Tech pass rush was absolutely annhilating the ND OL, game already blown to hell). Yet another chink in the armor of the Robot Genius.

Then, you have the boot-camp, back-to-fundamentals shit, the full-pad practice after the Michigan game. The players have been working hard, running sprints, running laps, ever since August and long before that. At least they think they have. And at this point, they're going to look at Weis, and say, "What the fuck does this tub of guts know about whether we've been physically working hard or not? He breaks into a hot sweat if he has to sprint 15 feet across the locker room to get his hands on the Krispy Kremes." And pretty quickly, it's Strike Three.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not all of the ND media are pumping out "hosannahs" for charlie. Trib columnist Jeff Carroll has been all over Weis's fat ass .

Charlie is starting to sound more and more like Captain Quigg everyday.

11. Eric Hansen took him out today, too. And Bob Kravitz did earlier this week. So there've been a few locals. A lot of it gets linked at thewizardofodds.blogspot.com.

I thought Rosenberg's was the best one I've seen.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The AP piece by Coyne a day or so ago was another regurgitation of the alibi of the allegedly shitty recruiting by Willlingham.

Weis has been there three years. He's had plenty of time to coach 'em up, or get walk-ons to replace them. There are plenty of All-State Honorable Mention players playing intramural football at Notre Dame.

Draft saved Draft deleted