1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Phelps' middle name is apparently Spicoli

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Jan 31, 2009.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Phelps has ADD, he's legitimately at-risk.

2. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Someone under 25 gets caught smoking weed...how is this news?

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Bingo. And more importantly why is it (a) illegal and (b) anyone's business?

Who gives a rat's ass if a dude wants to smoke the chronic -- hell that's an activity that has made Snoop Dogg a rich man!

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Early leader in the clubhouse for "High Times" magazine's Sportsman of the Year.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I also never give a shit when someone smokes weed. Just doesn't bother me.

6. The problem is when an athlete from a major sport gets a DWI and gets caught smoking dope, he's usually crucified. Carmelo Anthony is considered a thug, and he hasn't done anything much worse than Phelps other than one in-game punch.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

You know you're my boy Mizzou, but why in the world does this make him a dumbass?
    He's a 23-year old kid, already totally rich, has reached the absolute pinnacle of his athletic career - or any other Olympic athlete's - and he wanted to get high. Getting high is fun. It's a blast. In college, I wish I did it a hell of a lot more often. Don't do it any more, haven't for a long time, but if it ever becomes legal, I'll be the first in line. The DUI/DWI, that's messed up. But this?

If I was worth $5 million or whatever he might be worth right now, I'd be more than happy to be content with my life. Who needs ANOTHER $40 million?

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Is that right??

2003-04 - Anthony pouted and refused to play during a Nuggets game after his teammates complained about his shot selection.

2004 - He was benched during the Olympics by coach Larry Brown, who publicly called him selfish.

2004 - He was involved in a bar fight (at age 20 - what was he even doing in a bar?) after his girlfriend was spat upon by her ex-boyfriend.

2004 - He was targeted by scumbags who tried to shake him down over the bar fight, claiming to have video footage and threatening to release it to ESPN.

2004 - He was charged with possession of marijuana after it was found in his backpack at the airport in Denver. The charges were dropped after a friend took the fall.

2004 - He appeared in a video called "Stop Snitchin'," which threatened violence against people who cooperate with authorities. He claimed it was a joke.

2006 - Another man, identified as Anthony's "best friend," was busted for pot possession while driving Anthony's car.

2008 - Anthony was ticketed for driving 60 mph in a 45-mph zone. That in itself wouldn't have been so bad, if it hadn't happened three weeks after he was arrested for DUI. His blood-alcohol level was .148. He pleaded guilty to the reduced charge of DWI and got a year of probation, $1,000 in fines and 24 hours of community service - in effect, three tiny taps on the wrist.

2008 - He made an ass of himself during the Olympic semifinals against Argentina, elbowing one opponent and trying to start a fight with another.

As for the "one in-game punch" you cited, he backed up faster after throwing that punch than he's ever done on defence. He probably got the 15-game suspension for gutlessness more than anything else.

So, yeah, maybe Anthony isn't a thug per se - he's just a punk.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

me either.

10. Amen.
    Don't crim-in-a-lize it...

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

But this is Murrica! Drinking is cute and funny! Weed's for degenerates!

12. If Babe toked, he'd have lasted longer.

Draft saved Draft deleted