1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Phelps' middle name is apparently Spicoli

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Jan 31, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

TEBOW!

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Curveball...

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Were you a better person for spending a few minutes with him?

(sorry, Thom Brennaman reference)

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

I'm sure all of us have had "sources" who give us great quotes filled with puns:

“He looked just as natural with a bong in his hands as he does swimming in the pool. He was the gold medal winner of bong hits.”

ummm, News of the World ain't the Washington Post

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll be curious if the US papers pick up on this or if Phelps gets "Armstrong Treatment"

6. imjustagirl

Well, since he admitted it...

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/swimming/news/story?id=3876804

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Is that even him? And if it is, does it really freaking matter if some 20something is smoking a little weed? I did and I bet you did too!

8. imjustagirl

A.) Read the post above yours.

B.) From the NOTW story: "And after sporting chiefs announced laws which mean four-year bans for drug-taking, Phelps’ dreams of adding to his overall 14 gold medal tally at the 2012 games in London could already be OVER."

I can't comment on B because I don't stay up on all the drug laws with the Olympics...but if that's the case? THAT'S why people should care.

Tebow Christ, some NFL player gets trashed at a bar and gets in a fight, everyone wants to talk about the downfall of society. A highly-regarded athlete does something ILLEGAL, and no one should care because it's "just weed?"

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Yep

10. IJAG, I've never done a drug in my life, not even pot. But I still don't think it's a big deal, as long as that's all he was doing. Illegal or not.

If he gets a ban just for smoking pot, I'll be shocked.

11. imjustagirl

Right. It's just weed.

Well, I'll just steal a couple shirts then. So long as it's not a car.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I have a strange feeling they're not keeping Michael Phelps out of the Olympics for weed.

Draft saved Draft deleted