1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Phelps is SI Sportsman of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Dec 2, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No, but what's the significance of him in untied formalwear?

SI had him on the cover immediately after Beijing with his medals, reminiscent of the Spitz photo, and you knew right then they just wasted the SOY shot.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I believe he has just arrived in his Hummer Submarine to pick up Ariel and take her to the Merpeople Prom. Hopefully he can fend off Ursula, the sea witch, with his two rows of shark teeth, and tap then that fish-ass before he has to get her home to King Triton by high tide.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I think they had to run that photo after the Olympics. If they hadn't somebody else would have. I like the SOY cover -- showing him in something other than a Speedo, and soaking wet, like he saw a pool and couldn't resist even though he was in a tux. The only problem is that Phelps' face is, well, not particularly photogenic.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

At the very least, they should have tweased his eyebrows. But his Octagon PR people seem to prefer the "learn as you go" method of image management.

6. sg86

sg86 Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Co-signed.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That is a weird cover shot. It looks like his head is out of proportion to the rest of his body and his face is lit differently than the rest of the shot. I don't know if they tweaked the photo or didn't - but I don't expect the mag to fly off the shelves.

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Thanks for the laugh.

And Trouser, damn nice photo. :D

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How many more interviews can Phelps give about winning eight gold medals? Won't the public want something more to talk about with him? He's got to do Dancing with the Stars right?

Draft saved Draft deleted