1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Oher

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HejiraHenry, Nov 24, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Man, oh, man, do I not get it.

Here's an underachiever – Ole Miss wouldn't run behind him on the most important play of 2007 – who had a book written about him and everybody acts like he cured cancer.

I'm sure Houston Nutt's people upgraded his fundamentals this year – it wouldn't have taken much – but an Outland Trophy finalist and the presumed No.1 NFL prospect?

He ought to send Bruce Feldman a big damned check after that first contract is signed.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He looks like a working class paradigm next to Greg Hardy. And Andre Smith will get the award and the honor of slaving away for the Lions.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

the point in the Michael Lewis book was that Oher was a left tackle and was so big that he could protect the quaterback's blind side. The bigger point was that Lewis explained why offensive left tackles have the highest average salaries after quarterbacks. Michael Lewis's base writing is about economics and money.

From the book, it seemed like he was extremely raw coming out of high school.

Even if Oher was an average NFL run blocker, he would still be valuable if he were an outstanding pass blocker.

I'm certain that if you follow Ole Miss you know more than I do about how he did, but that is the NFL way of thinking. It's like in basketball when they say you can't coach height. How Oher does at the combines will mean more than how he did at Ole Miss. It might not seem right; it might not be right, but that is probably the way it is.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Or Andre Smith heads to the Rams.

Either way, he's doomed.

5. HejiraHenry

No doubt he's been through a lot to get to this point.

As the kids like to say, I'm just not buying what he's selling.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

That's Sean Tuohy's boy, dammit !

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Oher has that combination of size and athleticism that NFL scouts go googly eyed at.
    He was astonishingly awesome as a high school basketball player.
    Fundamentals?
    Nah. He is still just learning how to play football.
    Nutt and Markuson will have made him better by the end of this season, but it doesn't matter. Oher is too good of a raw prospect just to turn away from. I don't see No. 1 pick and he might be a huge bust, but if he grades well at the combine, and he will. He'll be first offensive lineman picked, that's for damn sure.

8. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Feldman? Or Michael Lewis? Or both?

9. HejiraHenry

Doh!

Yeah, it was Lewis.

Feldman wrote the Meat Market book that tried to put Orgeron up for sainthood. I recently tumbled to the SoCal story Feldman had done a few years before that, about the D-line and their crazy Cajun position coach, Ed Orgeron.

Orgeron's Ole Miss program may have had more books written about it than he had SEC wins.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Michael Oher being the subject of "The Blind Side" had everything to do with Sean Touhy and Michael Lewis being high school classmates. It was a very good read, but could have been about any number of other guys, from Andre Smith to D'Brickashaw Ferguson to Joe Thomas.

But Oher was a compelling story and Lewis had access to Oher/the Tuohy family that only a lifelong friend would have. And thus was a best-seller born.

As for Andre Smith going to the Rams, ask Orlando Pace how that worked out for him ...

11. Just another D'Brickashaw in the wall.
    I kill me.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

You can't teach size and the guy is a mountain. Is he the best? That is debateable but he will be playing on Sunday.

Draft saved Draft deleted