1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Moriarty rips L&O

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Michael Moriarty's greatest role is the one he was never offered: Tom Hagen in Godfather III, when Robert Duvall held out for more money, and eventually Coppolla wrote him out, necessitating a hasty and ill-conceived script rewrite. Coppolla should have just recast the part.

2. highlander

highlander Member

Michael Moriarty was really good in "Hanoi Hilton"

And Richard Brooks was great along with Glenn Morshower in "84 Charlie MoPic."

Morshower plays Secret Service agent Aaron Pierce in "24" and was also Landry's father in "Friday Night Light's."

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I sat through an SVU with my wife recently; hadn't seen the show in years. I remember it being all right, but this new one was horrible. I was guessing dialogue before they said it.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, it doesn't exist on YouTube, but Moriarty once came on a Canadian TV talk show completely bombed. He couldn't even speak. They had to go to commercial early, because he could barely make it to the chair.

It was terrific.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Just like Lt. Philip Gerard had nothing better to do than chase Richard Kimble around the country. Should the FBI not have taken over the case once Kimble crossed a state line for the first time?

And then there was Jack McGee. Can you imagine a reporter nowadays with carte blanche to just follow the Incredible Hulk from place to place for a number of years, never having to file a story? Must've been nice. ::)

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

MM was great in the pilot/opener of The 4400 a few years back. The way he described the role it was no stretch for him.

"Yes, about Orson Bailey, I can only say the experience was one of the best in 35 years of filming. [It] was my first chance at a Jekyll-and-Hyde role. Orson lives a normal, loving life till he's taken off to another space with the rest of the 4400. When he's returned, decades later, there is within him a rage, a wrath which he himself cannot understand because it is so huge. He doesn't want to hurt people, but when they anger him — and they do through some very ugly, almost evil actions — his fury erupts to the point where his nose bleeds, the room shakes, all the glass shatters and, in one case, an entire mansion falls apart when he simply shakes the driveway gates ... My character doesn't die in the film. He ends up in restraints and in a catatonic state. Who knows what's in store for him? I don't think even the writers know at this point. Despite his nightmare, he is to me a very sympathetic man. In my view, he's been injected with God's very justified wrath. Unfortunately, no mortal could possibly endure an anger that profound."

They didn't bring him back for another episode. I can only imagine that he was in character before and forever after.

o-<

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think it depends on which standard you're applying.

When compared to the mothership, the spinoffs aren't as good. When compared to other stuff on TV? Yeah, I'll watch SVU or CI. If Trial by Jury was still on, I'd watch it instead of most other shows.

And if BBC America ever shows Law & Order: UK, I'll watch it too.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They should have never made Godfather III without Duvall.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Fixed.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I thought about writing it that way. But maybe it would have been ok with Duvall.

As it is, I just don't acknowledge its existence.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Man's halfway to an EGOT! Phillip-Michael Thomas would be proud.

On a serious note, yes, he's got some paranoid delusions.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What we need is Law and Order: UK on DVD.

Draft saved Draft deleted