1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Moore's new documentary "Sicko" opens today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Huh? The people's stories... people just like us.... drive these films.

Without them, you have a stolid Dateline NBC segment.

2. I think he's looking for an antidote to the anecdotes.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

When sarcasm is done well, it's a thing of beauty.

I'm seeing the film sometime this week, come hell or high water.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Michael Moore is the only person in the world who ever made me root for General Motors.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I don't deny the power of the anecdote. My eyes welled up with tears a couple of times during Sicko. A dry documentary wouldn't have elicited that.

It goes back to the whole distinction between rhetoric and logic...something that used to be taught in our schools. There are partisans of rhetoric or logic to the exclusion of the other method. I like them both. I think the most powerful arguments are made when both forms are synthesized in a complementary fashion. Moore, obviously, leans heavily toward the rhetorical.

6. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Why do people think documentaries must be without a voice? Michael Moore makes documentaries to show HIS viewpoint -- of which he has a track history of being ahead of the curve. In the 3 Moore movies I've seen, he's offered the opposite side a chance to be included - hell, NRA Gladiator Charleston Heston was in Columbine.

Spurlock killed Fast food nation. He started out with a specific agenda and ended with a brilliant film.

If you're looking for news, read a newspaper or watch the evening news. Documentaries are not fair and balanced by nature.

Sorry for the reality check.

The Iraqi insurgency is in its last throes and Detroit's auto industry is booming.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I liked Fast Food Nation. I told other people to watch Fast Food Nation.

But it was pretty far from a brilliant film.

8. Say what you will about FFN, I have not eaten a fast-food hamburger since I saw it.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That makes you a communist. Or a fascist.

I'm not sure. It's all so confusing around here.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

"doc·u·men·ta·ry (dŏk'yə-měn'tə-rē) Pronunciation Key
    adj.
    1. Consisting of, concerning, or based on documents.
    2. Presenting facts objectively without editorializing or inserting fictional matter, as in a book or film.

n. pl. doc·u·men·ta·ries
    A work, such as a film or television program, presenting political, social, or historical subject matter in a factual and informative manner and often consisting of actual news films or interviews accompanied by narration.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/documentary

11. boots

boots New Member

This George Lucas looking character (check out his turkey neck) has made money off other's misfortunes. I wonder if he's given money back.

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Just to be clear ... do you mean Fast Food Nation or Super Size Me?

Draft saved Draft deleted