1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Moore's new documentary "Sicko" opens today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Really? To me he looked like a bully and a jerk. And a coward at the end when he refused to allow the interview to continue, and tried to make himself a martyr. I've never seen his movies, is he always this obnoxious?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's the way he had to be with a war apologist who trashed F911.

And, I would NEVER allow CNN to tape me and then carve it up.

And, if you really haven't seen his movies, consider yourself less informed.

3. IU90

IU90 Member

I agree he comes across as obnoxious, but you know what? He's ABSOLUTELY RIGHT about everything in that rant. CNN did neglect to do its job by failing to be real journalists rather than shameless cheerleaders in the early Iraq war. Wolf was a sell-out shill back then. CNN did run unfair hit pieces on Fahrenheit 9/11, yet haven't acknowledged that 4 years later it turns out that F9/11 was simply ahead of its time in pointing out the insane idiocy of the war. And CNN & Co. probably do owe the public an explanation, if not outright apology, for their war coverage.

And considering the piles of advertising cash CNN's taken from Pharmaceutical and other companies alarmed by Moore's film, its fair to question CNN's motives in running the negative Sicko piece immediately before Moore's interview.

4. Simon_Cowbell

MORE Democratic leaders need to build up the spine to offer the passion combined with message that Moore had there.

Instead, they softly acquiesce and take the GOP hit jobs over and over again.

Matthews needs the Blitzer treatment even more.

That fat, holy-rolling bastard won't let him with a mile of the Hardball studio, though.

5. JackS

JackS Member

Here's a good review that points out both the strengths and weaknesses of the film (and the country)...

http://www.newstarget.com/021906.html

6. Simon_Cowbell

It reads a little "crackpot-ty" to me.... perhaps it was the line where he said he has zero chance of getting cancer.

Agree with the points (except the obesity crisis is a totally different film, and I don't mean that flimsy Super-Size Me), but the messenger is a little odd.

7. Simon_Cowbell

I do wish he would return Ashleigh Banfield's glasses, though....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. JackS

JackS Member

Yeah, Adams is definitely a little "out there," but the message is solid. (I disagree that the obesity crisis is "a totally different film." You can't look at solutions to problems and ignore their causes.)

Here's another interesting review from Kurt Loder. Definitely a pan of the movie, but some of the points he raises are interesting.

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1563758/story.jhtml

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

CNN is reportedly going to air Part 2 of the interview today, unedited and Dr.Gupta will also check in.

10. Simon_Cowbell

The cause of the president in 1971 fast-tracking the HMO system was the obesity crisis?

No.

It was so that the insurance companies could get "fat" minimizing care.

11. IU90

IU90 Member

Speaking of which, wasn't that Nixon tape in the film something. Where he essentially agrees that this system would be a good idea specifically because it provided a profit incentive to DENY medical care to people. The more I learn about Nixon the more convinced I become about his spawn of Satan origins. A great find by Moore, though.

12. Simon_Cowbell

And Moore does NOT get nearly the credit he deserves for pulling that sort of inarguable stuff.

I mean, had anyone here ever heard that tape?

Draft saved Draft deleted