1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Moore's new documentary "Sicko" opens today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It was entertaining, and very telling at once.

Moore is admitting he played the guy, and telling him to fuck the fuck off in a rather counterintuitive, fun way.

I never really took that as an anonymous donation made, and then at a later point, a decision made to put it into the movie.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

All were tremendous visuals, all of which made his point scads better than merely reading them.

BTW, I LOVED the "fuck you" to his F911 critics by showing the Iraqi kids running with the kite this time.

LOFL.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Reading Jones is like looking at a diamond through the window at Tiffany's on 5th Avenue.

It's just ... better... than the rest.

Ragu just had some linguini go down the wrong pipe.

4. Simon_Cowbell

At merely the cost of your tax monies.... Where????????????

5. Simon_Cowbell

RSC.... Being against their torture and finding the deep irony of their top-notch, free healthcare are not, in the least, inconsistent or mutually exclusive ideas.

6. IU90

IU90 Member

Yes they do, and every year they also bankrupt countless Americans with less than perfect health insurance after their HMO's bean counters are done tearing through the claims. Jones could focus everything on the well-being of his child and wife during this. In the US, he'd simultaneously also have to worry about his impending war with the HMO and how the ordeal might change his family's financial future. The obvious difference.

7. But....but...nothing's perfect. Therefore, nothing can be improved.
    I wish I could shake the feeling that a lot of the criticism of Moore's film, and of our broken system, has a lot to do with simple American exceptionalism, and the unthinking national hubris that infects too much of our politics and culture. I sometimes believe that there is a huge body of Americans who would rather watch the country sink than admit that another country has a better idea of doing something than the ones we developed. That includes government, politics, and pop culture, as well as health-care. I agree most with Moore when he argues, and I think brilliantly, that it's time to exercise our god-given rights as Americans to steal the good ideas developed by other countries.

8. IU90

IU90 Member

Fenian, I think that is absolutely true. The problem is Americans from a very early age are inundated with the notion that we're the greatest country in the world, and the rest of the world follows us and our ideas, not vice versa.

Some people just can't wrap their head around the idea that in some areas other countries have figured out a better way of doing things, and perhaps we should follow them. Its like they think its somehow unpatriotic and disloyal to admit that we're not the best in absolutely everything, even when the hard evidence shows we're in an absolute free fall compared to many other nations in education, health care, and other areas.

9. JackS

JackS Member

Actually, with me, it's just the opposite.

I think America, particularly the American government, is overrated by its citizenry, and just because another government may be able to do something well doesn't mean ours can.

I mean, if you want to junk our entire bloated bureaucratic mess and start over, maybe we could get some things done. Otherwise, good luck.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Jack just used a few words to say a lot. You don't see that often here.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

FB, Why do you hate America?

Oh, and the above paragraph also explains why American's don't watch hockey.

12. Our government works if the people in charge of it determine that it can work. Do I want to hand the task of designing a new one over to the current level of political sophistication here?
    No.
    And we don't watch hockey because it's run by morons.

Draft saved Draft deleted