1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Moore's new documentary "Sicko" opens today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jun 7, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Hey, the last time he came out with a flick, there wasn't any publicity or debate.

His new doc is an investigative look at the U.S. Healthcare industry, and it received praise at Cannes. I wonder, though, if it will do well here or is he so polarizing that the public at large will avoid it. Is anyone here going to see it?

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=Sicko+trailer

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Re: Michael Moore's new documentary "Sicko" opens up in 22 days

I'll go. Read a review by someone I respect who says that this is his best yet. He also appears less on camera than in previous docs. It's an important subject and, agree with him or not, at least he gets the conversation started.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Not even if you paid me.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This thread will not end well.
    Might as well lock it.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I'll be there.

6. Re: Michael Moore's new documentary "Sicko" opens up in 22 days

Bill Maher, during an interview with Moore, said something along the lines of he suspects this movie will have a broader audience than most Moore movies because apparently people at the Fox News Channel were saying good things about it after seeing a screening. It sounds like it's only polarizing if you mean people who control policies in health care and people who deny insurance claims for bogus reasons will hate it, and people who have been screwed over on technicalities will like it.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Moore himself might be polarizing, but he gets Americans to go see documentaries. No small feat, that.

And yeah, I'll go.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

crazy

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I love documentaries. I don't love the heavy-handed way in which Moore does his.

Personal preference.

10. Re: Michael Moore's new documentary "Sicko" opens up in 22 days

Yes, I will see it.
    And if there's one thing that unites Americans across the political spectrum it is the belief that insurance companies are irredeemable bloodsuckers.
    This movie will make a fortune.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm definitely going to see it. My hope is that he made an honest movie, not his typical distorted work that seeks to just demonize a target, even if it means using selective facts and lies in places. I don't have much hope based on his previous work, but even he'll get the benefit of the doubt unless he shows that he doesn't deserve it.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Any thoughts on what people feel is his best documentary? Bowling for Columbine was big, but I just recently saw The Big One and liked it too.

I'll likely see Sicko in the theater.

Draft saved Draft deleted