1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Moore targetted by U.S. Treasury Department

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I haven't seen this posted anywhere (I did a search too), so I'm sorry if this is a D_B.

The Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control notified Moore in a letter dated May 2 that it was conducting a civil investigation for possible violations of the U.S. trade embargo restricting travel to Cuba. A copy of the letter was obtained Tuesday by the AP.

"This office has no record that a specific license was issued authorizing you to engage in travel-related transactions involving Cuba," Dale Thompson, OFAC chief of general investigations and field operations, wrote in the letter to Moore.

In February, Moore took about 10 ailing workers from the Ground Zero rescue effort in Manhattan for treatment in Cuba, said a person working with the filmmaker on the release of "Sicko." The person requested anonymity because Moore's attorneys had not yet determined how to respond.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=261577&GT1=7701

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The government going after Michael Moore. Shocked, I tell you.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Well, it wouldn't be surprising for Moore to come under investigation, but you know, that embargo isn't anything new. If he violated it, well, he was asking for trouble. He's setting himself up for some sort of legal penalties. 'Course, it's entirely possible he's also setting himself up for another film.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!!

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I saw it in the Toronto Star this morning but was afraid to post in case Jethro Lynch barged in telling me to keep my nose out of America's business.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, you do have the second home in Iran...

[/Gary Shandling talking to Sean Penn on Bill Maher's show this week]

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Is Stephen "I Tore Dubya A New Rectal Orifice Without Him Knowing It" Colbert's IRS audit next on the agenda?

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

He's a criminal and should be treated as such.

9. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

He broke the law by going to Cuba. The embargo strictly forbids travel to Cuba under certain circumstances, none that he met. Audioslave played in Cuba, but secured special Federal permission to do so, playing a free concert in Havanna. They are no exactly friends of the Bush admininstration and they had no problems securing permission. Moore did not and he will be punished. 'Nuf said.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

$75 grand.

WELL worth the publicity.

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Of course he'll play it up like Bush is persecuting him and the national media lapdogs will lick it up like fine wine. It's a no-win scenario for the government.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You're kidding, right.

I know kids who went to Havana for spring break.

This is a joke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.