1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Moore: 'Newspapers Slit Their Own Throats, Good Riddance'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Sep 14, 2009.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a Michael Moore movie like the one he described in the link. Not just about newspapers though. I'd love to see an indepth analysis of today's media and the impact it has on folks. He could spend a half hour talking about the decline of newspapers and the rest of the movie on the Faux news channel/MSNBC

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Michael Moore's schtick in his movies is to come off as some schlubby, everyman taking down the rich and famous and powerful with his Columbo-like, gee-whiz line of questioning.

You'd think he'd be a lot more successful if he acted likeable in between films instead of an offputting know-it-all.

3. Boognish

Boognish Member

At a midsize Gannett rag that endorsed McCain and the drill-happy local Republican Congressman. Of course that didn't stop the callers from claiming we worship at the feet of the left ... ::)

4. Sneed

Sneed Guest

The only thing that sounded off-base to me was the whole newspapers supporting the Republicans statement. That aside? Dead-on. Read it all many times on these boards.

He's right, though--people can't read and write like they need to be able to, on the whole. I think it goes beyond Republicans trying to kill the Department of Education. There's television and video games and movies and all that to be factored into that equation.

But it's become a vicious cycle: many newspaper reporters/writers struggle to put together coherent sentences more and more often. Moore's right. Everyone who's said this is right: papers don't take enough pride in what they do.

Not the grinders. Not you folks. The people working above you, the ones who see it as a business instead of an art and a fine science.

I'm said to say, though, this is why I'm trying to avoid working full-time for a newspaper for the rest of my life. It saddens me, really. I entered college five years ago in love with the idea. Then I learned about all of this over the years. I just can't trust the industry enough to entrust to it my life and the lives of my wife and future children.

All the best to all of you gutting it out. My hat's off to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted