1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Moore: 'Newspapers Slit Their Own Throats, Good Riddance'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Sep 14, 2009.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No coincidence he's promoting his new movie on capitalism.

http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/michael-moore-says-us-newspapers-slit-their-own-throats_7058

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Anything new being brought up by Moore?

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I liked the 'good riddance' part. Classy.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I don't think Michael Moore is wrong with this statement.

What is wrong with this statement, is the people Moore is hurting, are the worker bees, the ones who had nothing to do with the demise of the newspapers.

What an ass.

"He also accused those corporations of supporting Republican candidates."

REALLY? What a fucking tool.

In other news, Michael Moore is fat.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I want to give my response the dignity it deserves, befitting my position as a senior member of SportsJournalists.com, so I simply say this: In this case, Michael Moore can bite me.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Watch out if he brings in chili to go with it.

And I second your post.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think Moore has some interesting points, but he is wrong.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Actually, I've returned to note that having read what he said, from a corporate standpoint, there's very little that the rank and file here would disagree with.

I still don't like the tone, and blowing off an industry means he's blowing off a lot of good people. But corporations doing a lot to ruin the industry? Yeah, I'd say so.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The corporations are not helping, but the main problem is that advertising is way down.

So gutting staffs and such is not a long-term fix or an improvement by any stretch, but I don't think the Ford dealer is cutting back on advertising because there is not enough local news in the paper.

The suits are just making knee-jerk and short sighted responses to revenue shortfalls, but they aren't the reason for the ads being cut back.

The cuts probably have impacted circulation, though.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I think he's a self-promoter who helped cost the Democrats the 2004 election with his blowhard's knack for pushing people off the fence the other way.

But . . .

Aside from his need to insert politics in there ("They support Republicans!!!"), he has a point. We've been decrying the influence of corporations here for a quite a while. Could do without the "Good Riddance," since I've long since grown tired of people hating the rich and rooting for their downfall.

Hell, I love the rich. I hope they let me in their club someday.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

As a proud Republican, Michael, let me present you with a hot tub to soak in.

Oh, let me throw this toaster in there. Plugged in, too. You'll be shocked. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted